FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cloning to add as an extra layer

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Sweet
Cloning to add as an extra layer
on Nov 2, 2010 at 8:28:13 am

I've been searching for a beginner's guide to cloning in Motion in order to hide damage on moving frames (lens dust spots with precious little pixel data). If anyone has a link to an existing tutorial/explanation I'd be very grateful. The task I want to master is to create a soft edged shape from a part of my footage close to the damaged area, and lay the clone over as another layer to hide light and dark spots (around 30 pixels in diameter). Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
Re: Cloning to add as an extra layer
on Nov 2, 2010 at 11:13:46 am

You probably won't find a specific tutorial on repairing lens dirt with Motion, but the process is pretty simple and straightforward, involving masks and shapes. If you're able to wait, I can provide a description and some screenshots later this evening when I'm in front of Motion at home.

Return to posts index

Mike Sweet
on Nov 2, 2010 at 11:16:52 am

Thanks Gareth. That would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Nov 2, 2010 at 11:20:05 am

No worries. Would you be able to repost your example image, but without the red circles? Saves me having to mask them out myself :)

Return to posts index

Mike Sweet
on Nov 2, 2010 at 11:34:22 am

Sure.

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Nov 2, 2010 at 11:35:47 am

Without the red circles please ;)

Return to posts index

Mike Sweet
on Nov 2, 2010 at 12:13:09 pm

Here you go.

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Nov 2, 2010 at 4:59:23 pm

OK, here's a basic run-through in Motion.

Import your image, and then press Apple-D to duplicate it:

Create a second group (I called it "Repair Matte") and use the shape tool to draw two shapes over the dirt blobs:

Add an image mask to the duplicate of your image, and drag the Repair Matte group into the source well:

Select the "testframe copy" image and move it in either X or Y, just enough for the blobs to be covered up with adjacent picture information. I only needed to move it -24 pixels in X. Hey presto, blobbo disappearo:

Inevitably, with actual moving video you'll probably have to tweak and refine and adjust feathering to get a truly invisible repair, and maybe keyframe the position of the "testframe copy" layer, but the basic procedure is the same. The dirt blobs obviously don't move at all so you never have to touch the position of the image mask, but depending on the image content you may discover that you have to do separate passes on each blob because you can't find a position for the "testframe copy" layer that works for both the blobs at the same time.

You can also achieve the same result in FCP, using a simple 3-layer luma travel matte and the built-in oval shape resized appropriately:

...but you'll have much more precise control and flexibility in Motion.

Hope this helps :)

Return to posts index

Mike Sweet
on Nov 2, 2010 at 5:16:15 pm

Many many thanks Gareth. I have been doing a test today exporting an image sequence in FCS, then fixing each frame in Photoshop and importing back. It worked out roughly at one hour per second of fixed video. I'm hoping once I'm through the Motion procedure learning curve, then the fixes ahead will become much quicker.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]