FORUMS: list search recent posts

3D layers disappear

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ernie Zinger
3D layers disappear
on Oct 25, 2010 at 8:11:15 pm

After following Mark Spencer's excellent tutorial "psd_in_zspace_1280", in which he illustrates using Motion to move Photoshop layers, I decided to apply the technique to a 43 layer psd. Each layer is a headshot, and I am dollying from the furthermost layer in z space to reveal each consecutive layer to form my final, 43 image composite. My problem is that some of the layers quickly fade out (2 frames duration) during the dolly. It's as though they're being obscured by some unseen object or a limit in 3D space. I'm probably missing something basic, but after scouring the forums, I've got more time invested in this effect than I hoped to save using the technique. Can anyone shed some light on my situation? Thanks, in advance.
Motion 4.0.3
2 x 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
16 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
OSX v 10.6.4

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: 3D layers disappear
on Oct 25, 2010 at 9:13:04 pm

The camera in Motion is set up to fade objects in or out when the get to close or to far away from the camera. Select the camera and go to the camera tab. Increase the Far Plane value and that will allow objects far away to not fad out. Same concept for near objects with the Near Plane value. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Oct 25, 2010 at 9:24:43 pm

Your camera only see a certain default distance in z-space. You can change the distance in the Camera tab of the Inspector.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Ernie Zinger
on Oct 25, 2010 at 9:32:02 pm

Stephen and Mark, thank you for the quick response. I've already corrected the project. This was my first post on the Cow, and what a great first experience.

Mark, thanks for posting the original tutorial!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]