FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion: 2 Problems .... Background + inserted clip doen´t fit

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim BIos
Motion: 2 Problems .... Background + inserted clip doen´t fit
on Oct 20, 2010 at 9:32:35 pm

Hi there,

I´m quite new to motion and I am having two problems to be solved.

First, I want to put a short video-clip in an "old TV". Therefor I took a picture of a tv and added a matte to it. In a tutorial on youtube it was explained how to drag the clip to the matte that it fits automaticly to the matte. But somehow it is not scaled down. Instead it only shows just the upper right part of the clip. Does anybody know, how to solve this?

My second question: In another project I animated a camera passing by a few text layers. To avoid, that one could see all that text-layers at once I changed the camera-parameters (layers and "blend in" "blend out"). Now I want to add a background with a gradient or foto. But because the difference between the textlayers is too big, the background "is out of sight" - not visible.

Then I tried to insert the background as a 2D-layer - but still it didn´t work.

I hope, that someone could understand the description of my problems - unfortunatly my english is not that good. If you need some more informations - please just let me know!

Thank you very much,
Timo

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Motion: 2 Problems .... Background + inserted clip doen´t fit
on Oct 20, 2010 at 10:23:21 pm

1. I'm not sure how you make an image auto feel a matte. What tutorial are you talking about? Can you just resize the image so it fits?

2. For the second question you need to place that 2D background layer in its own group that is not in the 3D group. Then make the 2D background group 2D. Then the background will not move with the camera move.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Tim BIos
on Oct 20, 2010 at 10:46:31 pm

Hi there!

Thank you so far for your quick response! Unfortunatly your suggestions won´t solve my problems. The tuturial I saw on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fy24rspu-w). In my case I want to insert a clip, not a picture. But if I want to resize it, I automaticly resize the matte. All changes apply to the matte - I can´t "touch" the clip itself ...

And as well I put the background in a 2-D-Group with is in at the bottom of the layers. I attached a screenshot ...

1185_cow.png.zip

Am I misunderstanding or mixing up something?

Thanks again!!
Timo

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 20, 2010 at 11:06:38 pm

Tim, your English is fantastic. Lets take this one issue at a time. As for the 2D group that you had a screen grab of. If you click on the triangle in the group called "Gruppe" you will see that Gruppe 2 will disappear. That is because Gruppe 2 is inside Gruppe. You need to get Gruppe 2 outside of Gruppe so the two groups are independent of each other. To do that select "Gruppe 2" and drag it below the shape called "Kopie von Dia.." You will see an icon appear that is a line and a circle. Then drag Gruppe 2 to the left. When the line with the circle moves to the left let go of the mouse and it will move the Gruppe 2 outside of the Gruppe. Let me know if this makes sense and if it worked. Then will focus on the other question.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 20, 2010 at 11:28:12 pm

Here is a video that I just made to show you what I was writing. I think this will be easier.

http://reels.creativecow.net/film/group-layers

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Tim BIos
on Oct 21, 2010 at 9:24:39 am

Hey Stephen!

Thank you so much! You´re right, that was the problem! I am such an idiot ... ;-)

But still I have to scale the picture up, so it fills the whole background. But at least, the camera is not passing by anymore!!

And do you have as well an idea to solve my second problem?

Thanks again!
Timo

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 21, 2010 at 3:09:37 pm

Tim, that is a very common mistake. Don't feel bad at all. As for the other question. I watched a few seconds of the tutorial and it seemed to take something so simple and make it really time consuming. This is how I would do it. Add your background image. Add TV image. Draw matte on TV. Invert mask so it creates a hole in the TV. Resize and re-position the background image. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Tim BIos
on Oct 21, 2010 at 3:15:09 pm

ahhh! It sounds like, it should work. When I am home again, I will try!

How much time did it take you to get that good into motion? And is / was motion your first animation programme your working with?

Thanks again,
Timo

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 21, 2010 at 4:49:13 pm

[Tim] How much time did it take you to get that good into motion?

I still learn new things all the time. I guess I'm saying I feel it is a never ending process and we always need to be learning. As for a shameless plug, I think Creative COWs Motion Training DVD called Moving with Motion will teach you everything you need to know. From there learning more advanced tricks will be easier because you have a sold understanding of Motion.

[Tim] And is / was motion your first animation programme your working with?
After Effects was my first animation program that I worked with and still do. I think Motion is a powerful program that can create some cool stuff. Check out this link to some projects created in Apples Motion.

Best of luck and hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]