FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why is Motion so much faster than A.E

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmylee Remillard
Why is Motion so much faster than A.E
on Oct 19, 2010 at 11:31:36 pm

I use Motion for my daily work and have been slowly switching to After Effects do to the plug-ins and community it has making it a much better program in the long run.

Now why is it that After Effects sucks so bad for Motion Graphics Design due to stupid compositions instead of groups, it doesn't play more than 5 frames a second and its interface is super old school.
Granted it has some awesome features and amazing 3D capabilities and its much easier to move about 3D space but seriously Apple Motion is so much more user friendly and you can actually see what your doing at the time your doing it.

Is there something im missing in After Effects or is this just how it is?

I run After Effects on my PC (5gigs Ram. Nvida gtx 260 quad core) and Motion on Mac (27inch iMac 2.8ghz 4gigs ram, graphics is no where near as good as my pc's)

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Why is Motion so much faster than A.E
on Oct 20, 2010 at 2:51:07 pm

Motion relies much more on hardware acceleration and your graphics card to render, while AFX does most of its work in software. It's render vs. realtime.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 20, 2010 at 3:20:24 pm

I think Motion's real time speed is what makes it such a great app. I used to be a die hard AE guy and used Motion to create text every once in a while. When they added the 3D camera I started to take it more seriously. I built this TV show open in Motion instead of AE because of the real time capabilities. Because of that and other things I feel I was able to build it faster in Motion. Keep in mind Motion can only handle so much real time and that it starts to chug as things get complicated. I still use both programs, but I use Motion a lot more. Here is a link to some more projects created with Apples Motion.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 20, 2010 at 3:28:43 pm

Yeah in general I'd say Motion is great for titling, visual effects, and spot effects while AFX excels at more complex compositing, green screen etc. You can master both and be a serious asset to a post-production dept.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Oct 20, 2010 at 5:39:51 pm

"Yeah in general I'd say Motion is great for titling, visual effects..."

I didn't know that people were using Motion for visual effects. I always assumed folks were using it strictly for motion graphics...

Do you know where I can see examples of VFX made with Motion?

Thanks,

Shawn

Return to posts index

Jimmylee Remillard
on Oct 20, 2010 at 6:44:17 pm

I didn't know that people were using Motion for visual effects. I always assumed folks were using it strictly for motion graphics...

Do you know where I can see examples of VFX made with Motion?

If you scroll down to leverage you will see some in depth VFX

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/in-action/

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Oct 20, 2010 at 8:18:18 pm

Hmmm.... I didn't see any mention of VFX or Motion. :-( I'm sure something will turn up. Like I said in and ealier reply, I'm interested to see what Motion can do, but I haven't really seen anyone push it to its limits.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Jimmylee Remillard
on Oct 20, 2010 at 3:33:57 pm

Yeah I agree, Motion seems to be what i need for my daily work but it just sucks not having the community After Effects has (including the plug-ins)

PS: Very nice Intro!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 20, 2010 at 7:25:07 pm

when I say 'visual effects'- I mean sparkly flourishes and laser beamy particle stuff- not Lord of the Rings...

Noah

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Oct 20, 2010 at 8:10:27 pm

Ah, I see. You're talking about the built in particle engine. I haven't used Motion, but it does pique my interest. I'm sure someone out there is doing VFX work with Motion, I just have't found anyone who will admit it. AE is in the same boat, it's widely used in VFX work, but most post houses would rather not disclose how much they use it. They prefere to play up their Inferno systems or their Fusion stations.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Oct 24, 2010 at 8:27:07 am

[Jimmylee Remillard] " just sucks not having the community After Effects has (including the plug-ins)"

In fairness AE has been around for nearly 20 years. Motion is the new kid on the block. It takes time to build a community.

Return to posts index

Jimmylee Remillard
on Oct 25, 2010 at 1:05:54 pm

I agree 100% but it still means the community isn't there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]