FORUMS: list search recent posts

Decaying Oscillation problem

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Bergan
Decaying Oscillation problem
on Oct 19, 2010 at 7:58:36 pm

I would like to have some text rotate in and bounce to a stop. I don't like the way the Flip In behavior does it so I was rotating my text on the Y axis, then adding Oscillate as a Parameter Behavior. To have it slow down I tried to keyframe the amplitude down to 0 (50 to 0 to be exact) but there is no effect on the behavior. This is even in the user manual under "Creating a Decaying Oscillation". But only the first keyframe effects the oscillation behavior, and there is no decay whatsoever. Is there something I'm missing?

Dave

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Decaying Oscillation problem
on Oct 19, 2010 at 8:06:03 pm

Try adding a Ramp parameter behavior to the Amplitude parameter in order to ramp it down.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 19, 2010 at 8:12:33 pm

Parameter Behaviors need to be applied to a behavior. Under the Behavior tab make sure "Apply To" is set to some parameter or the behavior will do nothing. Take a look at this link to a thread, I think you may find it of use: Bouncing objects with behaviors Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Dave Bergan
on Oct 19, 2010 at 9:04:24 pm

I'm getting the oscillation, the Apply To does have the Y rotation selected (Properties.Transform.Rotation.Y). It's when I keyframe the amplitude it doesn't affect the oscillation. I can see the keyframe properties adjusting as if it was ramping down, but the oscillation is not decaying. And speaking of ramp, it doesn't affect it either, and I do have the Apply To set to "Behaviors.Oscillate.Amplitude"

Though I was trying it in a blank project and I was able to get it to work, so something else funky must be going on.

At this point it's easier for me to keyframe it. I know, sacrilege in Motion. :)

Thanks
Dave

Return to posts index

PJ Palomaki
on Oct 21, 2010 at 11:56:38 am

This is weird,

I'm having the same issue, neither keyframing or using ramp or other parameters on the amplitude or speed has any effect on the oscillate behaviour. It DOES show the values ramping down but the actual object oscillated doesn't decay...

Return to posts index

Arnie Clawson
on Nov 4, 2010 at 6:39:05 pm

I'm having some issues with the same thing. I've been able to get it to decay, but only when the Oscillate behavior is in it's original place in the timeline. If I move the keyframes, or even move the entire group... the decay does not follow. But if I drag everything back to the original spot, it decays again.

Rather than moving it, I can select the behavior and move the playhead to the desired ending spot and hit "o" to set the out, then move to the beginning and hit "i" for in. But that screws up the phase.

I'm trying to save a favorite that will put add a little bounce when I drop in text. Maybe there is a better way than using oscillate?? Or I'm missing something.

Arnie Clawson

Return to posts index

Jacopo Del Morco
on Dec 13, 2010 at 9:25:17 pm

it's like a desync problem.. it's a bug...

Return to posts index

PJ Palomaki
on Sep 21, 2011 at 3:15:39 pm

Ahhhhhh!

This old friend still hasn't been fixed in Motion 5. Truly annoying.

Motion 5 project which shows the bug. 2978_oscillatebug.motn.zip

I've sent a report to Apple but we'll see if they'll do anything about it.

A workaround though: Move the Ramp behaviour or the keyframes which effect the Oscillate behaviour to Frame 1 or 0 whichever is your first frame and it'll work. Even through the actual oscillate behaviour is way down the timeline. Odd but works.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical Director / Motion Graphics Editor / Video Editor / Cameraman / DVD Authoring / Flash Programming ...

Fruitmedia Ltd
http://www.fruitmedia.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]