FORUMS: list search recent posts

Linking text layers

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Li
Linking text layers
on Oct 19, 2010 at 4:10:23 am

Hello Fellow Creative Cows! First post so please be gentle...

I was wondering if there was any way to link text layers (I hope I'm using the right terminology).

Basically, I have a project with a number of texts layers which do different things, but all of them have the same actual text content. In the future I will be repeatedly changing the text content and would like to be able to make one global change rather than having to step into the inspector on each layer and change it. I just know that doing the changes one at a time would lead to mistakes!

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Linking text layers
on Oct 19, 2010 at 4:15:26 am

Sure, just clone the original text layer as many times as you like. You can change many attributes of the clones but they will always say the same thing as the source layer.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Simon Li
Re: Linking text layers
on Nov 9, 2010 at 5:58:41 am

Hey Mark

Sorry for not acknowledging sooner, didn't realise I had a reply. Thanks for the advice, you sir are a Motion ninja!

My mistake (in case others are falling into the same trap) was to copy and paste layers rather than use the clone tool. Using the clone tool has worked perfectly as I now only need to change one set of text (so if I do make a mistake, at least all the layers will all be wrong!).

Just need to go and remake all my templates - booo!

Thanks again Mark.

Simon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]