FORUMS: list search recent posts

stencil alpha

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Austin Reedy
stencil alpha
on Oct 15, 2010 at 7:05:40 pm

hi all,

i was watching a tutorial where the text was placed over a texture, and then using stencil alpha the text had the background texture applied to it and the background dissapeared. i followed the steps but when i apply stencil alpha to the text layer everything turns black....in fact none of my blend modes work except normal. is there a reason why i'm not getting the desired effect? thanks

austin

Austin Reedy
Freelance Post
Austin, TX

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: stencil alpha
on Oct 15, 2010 at 7:15:29 pm

If for example you had "White Text" and a "Background" that you wanted to appear in the white text you would need to:

Have background in bottom layer and white text in top layer, make sure they are in there own group. Apply Stencil Luma to White text. In timing pane or project pane right click on the group and choose blend mode, Normal. It is set to pass through by default so everything below those two layers disappear.

I prefer doing an Image Mask which is the same thing but you don't have the pass through problems. Be sure to click on this link to check out my Creating a Hologram video tutorial. You will learn about Image Masks in the middle of the tutorial. Best of luck and hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Austin Reedy
on Oct 16, 2010 at 4:07:22 pm

thanks

i'm about to check out the tutorial you posted to learn about the masks, because i did try what you said and now all i'm getting is the white text itself goes missing, but the background stays intact. i have both background and white text in their own groups, text over the background. BG layer and group are set to normal, text is stencil alpha and its group is normal also. totally confused.

ill check out the masks in the meantime. thanks!

austin

Austin Reedy
Freelance Post
Austin, TX

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Oct 16, 2010 at 11:05:24 pm

Hi Austin,

At its simplest, Stencil Alpha works like this:

Just two layers, with the upper (text) layer set to "Stencil Alpha".

This is the result:

It works just the same if you put the text layer and the image layer in separate groups.

Also, remember that the stencil acts on *every* group/layer that is beneath it. That's the main difference between a stencil and a mask; a mask will only act on the specific layer or group it is applied to, so if you want a mask to affect every layer/group in your project, you need to put all those layers/groups into one uber-group and then apply the mask to that. Whereas if you use a stencil, it just needs to be the topmost layer in the project, and it will affect every single layer/group beneath it.

Return to posts index

Austin Reedy
on Oct 17, 2010 at 2:27:15 pm

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for the detailed response. I followed your instructions and still have no results. My text/image was this:

and when I applied the stencil alpha to the text layer the result was this:

As you can see my blend mode is normal except for the text is stencil alpha, and i'm getting just black. Does this make sense to you? Any ideas?

At this point I'm dealing with an older Imac and i'm worried my video card is struggling with graphically intense things. Maybe i should change motion's settings to give me playback in poor quality?

Thanks

austin

Austin Reedy
Freelance Post
Austin, TX

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 18, 2010 at 2:59:18 pm

Here is a link to a project file that will show you how to do it:
1180_luma.motn.zip
Once again, I prefer to do an mage Mask which is the same thing but you don't have the pass through problems. Be sure to click on this link to check out my Creating a Hologram video tutorial. You will learn about Image Masks in the middle of the tutorial.

Here is a video tutorial on how to create a reflection and it will show you how to do what you are currently trying to do.
If you are on Motion 3 then you will want to watch this version of the creating a reflection in Motion tutorial.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]