FORUMS: list search recent posts

Particles forming a shape, using Geometry!

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Pennington
Particles forming a shape, using Geometry!
on Oct 14, 2010 at 4:24:09 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to get some nice round particles to form a curved line (will become part of a chart) and I've managed to get pretty close, see picture below, by using the Geometry option for the Emitter Shape. My Shape Source is a bezier curve that I drew using the original graph as a guide.

So if the Speed of the Emitter is set to 0, the particles cling nicely to the shape. Changing the speed makes them fly around, BUT they are flying in the opposite direction that I need them to. They are going away from the shape, not to it.

I played with the Attract Behaviour, that sorta works, but the particles change direction. It ain't what I'm looking for. I'd like the particles to be floating in space, barely moving to the left, then move to form the curved shape.

The Rectangle Shape option for the Emitter makes the particles float in space nicely, but I'm stuck with the Geometry setting for the Emitter.

Changing to the Rectangle shape and adding the Attract Behaviour doesn't work, the Rectangle takes over and the shape isn't achieved by the particles.

Any thoughts? Am I going about this the wrong way...

thanks,

Matt

Return to posts index

zak peric
Re: Particles forming a shape, using Geometry!
on Oct 15, 2010 at 7:22:13 am

Well, the solution is very easy. If you animate the your project as it is, then render the movie of your particles (with everything else switched off) then bring the rendered movie back. The movie will play forward, meaning you first get what you want at the end of the movie. Then select the movie and go to inspector/properties of the movie then go to Timing and check the Reverse button. This will play the movie in the reverse giving you what you need. You can then use hold frame behavior and and time remapping to hold the frame if you need to.

Think this way, most of the time you can make the effect you want, but sometimes it is good to think in reveres, therefore it is good to render the movies and bring them back in to achieve what you want.

Best of Luck.
http://www.embryo.me.uk

Return to posts index

Matt Pennington
Re: Particles forming a shape, using Geometry!
on Oct 15, 2010 at 1:24:03 pm

Aha, yes, very smart. Particles will be heading the right direction, and the hold frame behaviour will let me freeze on the frame I want.

Cool, thanks for your help!

Matt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]