FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fixing jerky pans

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sacha Thomas
Fixing jerky pans
on Oct 13, 2010 at 3:14:46 pm

I have some footage I shot on a tripod that is stable for 95% of the time. However, most of my pans are jerky due to a sticky tripod head. I am not looking for perfection on this project. In my experience trying to get it perfect in post usually results in MUCH more time spent compared to getting the shot right in production. Unfortunately, this was an event and it can't be re-shot. So I am looking at quick solutions to reduce the visual impact of the jerky movements.
Should I use the stabilizer for this? I imagine I will have to do some manual repairs in conjunction with using the stock stabilizer. Is there a simple solution that I am overlooking?
Purchasing Plug-ins is not an option...state university budgets being what they are today...Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Fixing jerky pans
on Oct 13, 2010 at 3:51:41 pm

Sacha, yeah give the Stabilize behavior a shot. You will be amazed at what it can do. Unfortunately, it can't fix everything. If you want to do it in FCP the same thing is called the SmoothCam filter. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Sacha Thomas
on Oct 13, 2010 at 11:55:32 pm

Thanks Stephen. I appreciate your prompt response. I will see what I can do with that.
Cheers,
Sacha

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 14, 2010 at 3:16:19 pm

Let us know how it goes.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Sacha Thomas
on Nov 23, 2010 at 3:45:22 pm

maybe I have overlooked some setting or something, but the SmoothCam filter in FCP 6.0.5 is estimating 4 days to analyze a clip, whether it is 30 minutes or 10 seconds. And looking at the CPU usage, it appears to be maxing out my machine. Did I overlook something or is this just the price you pay in post for crappy pans? Thanks in advance. The COW is fantastic!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Nov 23, 2010 at 3:48:57 pm

It has to analyze the whole clip in Motion 3. The way around it is to export out the part you want to stabilize and then re-import it. Then apply the filter and it will have a lot less to analyze and take less time. This is called baking. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]