FORUMS: list search recent posts

Match Grain FX

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rafael Gschwend
Match Grain FX
on Oct 12, 2010 at 7:15:12 am

Hi Everyone

Does anybody know if there exists a "match Grain effect" for motion or final cut, to match different looking video footage?

Thank you for your help

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Match Grain FX
on Oct 12, 2010 at 7:39:03 am

Video doesn't have grain. Film does. If you're trying to match film grains, you could try Magic Bullet.

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Rafael Gschwend
on Oct 12, 2010 at 8:54:22 am

Thank you for your fast reply.
I couldn't find an example for an effect that analyzes grain on film footage and transfer it to footage with less grain.

I am using damaged film out of the motion fx menu, it is not exacly it, but it does the job for now.

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Oct 13, 2010 at 7:54:38 pm

"Video doesn't have grain. Film does"

Video can have noise though, which might as well be grain in terms of the way it affects the image.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Oct 13, 2010 at 8:11:28 pm

"Video can have noise though, which might as well be grain in terms of the way it affects the image."

Film grain and Video noise could be construed as similar in only the barest of criteria. Since film grain actually affects how an image is produced, and video noise is merely a distortion of a video signal, I'd have to say that they are no where near alike in the way they affect the image.

The OP was confusing because I couldn't tell if he just wanted to add noise to his video or actually match specific film stocks. I still don't really know although it sounds closer to the latter. There are high quality plugins that are actually used to match one film stock to another because you can't always film with the same stock. Just adding noise to one is not likely to match very well.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Oct 13, 2010 at 9:50:34 pm

[Andy Neil] "I'd have to say that they are no where near alike in the way they affect the image."

I'd have to disagree :) Video noise can look just like a layer of grain jumping all over the image.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]