FORUMS: list search recent posts

motion stabilizer

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rafael August
motion stabilizer
on Oct 8, 2010 at 9:39:11 pm

Hello everyone,

I am trying to stabilize a very shaky hand held shot for a doc I'm working on. I've used the motion stabilize behavior which works pretty good at first glance but when looking closer I see the foundation of the house moving and the ground, and the tires on a tractor breathing. Feels like a fun house.

I am stabilizing for rotation and position.

Any suggestions? I'm wondering if I'm asking Motion to do too much. I've tried after effects stabilizer and mocha planar tracker in AE. No true fixes but Motion seems to be doing the best job so far.

Thanks,

Rafael

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
Re: motion stabilizer
on Oct 9, 2010 at 8:58:11 am

You are probably asking any motion tracker/stabiliser to do too much with the footage you have if it's very shaky. If the shakiness has caused any natural motion blur or image distortion in the original footage, then no stabiliser is going to be able to repair that automatically.

You'll have to look on it as a multi-stage process; get the basic stabilisation done as best you can and use that as your background plate, then fix the specific parts of the image that are still causing problems and composite them onto the background. That's the way a professional VFX house would approach it.

For example, you might have to step through the original shaky footage until you find a suitable frame with the tyres looking good, then mask them out and key them onto the full length of your stabilised background plate over the top of the "breathing" tyres. Am I making sense?

Return to posts index

rafael August
Re: motion stabilizer
on Oct 13, 2010 at 7:44:03 pm

That makes total sense. Thank you Gareth. I'll give it a try.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]