FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion Quality????

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Lavis
Motion Quality????
on Sep 30, 2010 at 1:16:23 pm

Hi

I am currently authoring my first ever DVD in DVD studio pro. For the beginning of the DVD i want a small animation of logos appearing and moving across the screen. I am using Motion to do this. I have made the sequence and understand how that works but unfortunately the quality of the images dont look as sharp as they do before i imported them.

I have done some research and found a few things like changing render to best and using 'do nothing' to still images in preferences but still no cigar.

I have even tried exporting the file in a variety of ways and importing it into DVD studio pro and burning test runs but the quality looks naff, and pixelated.

Other info: Im using the latest FCS, images are all PSD and have come from a graphic designer and they look amazing. I am also creating a menu for a SD film and i want the aspect ratio to be 16:9.

Is there a way i need to set up Motion & DVD studio pro to get best results, preferences etc?

I hope some one can help me and direct me in the best way to get the best results.

Many Thanks

Mike Lavis

Return to posts index

Michael Lavis
Re: Motion Quality????
on Sep 30, 2010 at 1:42:50 pm

oh and a quick observation is that the quality seems to go when i change the file size within motion making the images smaller than what they are when i import them..

I dont know if that helps?

Return to posts index

Michael Lavis
on Oct 1, 2010 at 10:10:40 am

I could really do with some advice my deadline is quickly arriving with the company and i'm still not finding any answers online.

PLEASE HELP

Many thanks

Mike Lavis

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 1, 2010 at 2:36:49 pm

Are you working with HDV or DV?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Michael Lavis
on Oct 1, 2010 at 4:19:32 pm

im using DV unfortunately.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 1, 2010 at 4:22:21 pm

DV is a probably why the logo doesn't look good. Unfortunately DV is really bad for graphics. You say you are putting a logo on a video. Is the whole video in Motion with the logo....or is the video in FCP and you are importing the Motion project file into FCP and placing it on top of the clip in FCP?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Michael Lavis
on Oct 4, 2010 at 11:46:03 am

No its just a intro motion piece, with a static background and the companies logos swinging in and out of the frame. I have currently imported the logos as pdf files from illustrator which are vector files and i have gone into inspector tab and then media and have unchecked the option for fixed resolution and i can see a slight improvement.

Maybe this is as good as it gets and i was just expecting the intro to look super sharp.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 4, 2010 at 1:42:59 pm

Yes, it is best to uncheck the fixed resolution check box when working with Illustrator files. I would recommend changing your Project Preset from DV to Broadcast.
Go up to Edit, Project Properties. Change the Preset from NTSC DV to NTSC Broadcast DV. Also, when you export it out choose a codec like Animation or ProRes. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Michael Lavis
on Oct 5, 2010 at 8:16:35 am

Many thanks Stephen, cheers for your advice.

Kind Regards

Mike

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 5, 2010 at 2:42:08 pm

Best of luck and happy to help.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index