FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bouncing an object up and down

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Morrill
Bouncing an object up and down
on Sep 29, 2010 at 5:40:03 pm

I am currently creating an animation where an object is thrown up vertically and then comes down and bounces to a halt. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to bounce the object. Currently the object rises into the air and then comes down and lands at a standstill, which isn't very convincing.

If anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate it. Also, I should mention that I am a Motion rookie. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Bouncing an object up and down
on Sep 29, 2010 at 5:58:09 pm

Sam,
I highly recommend you check out my Motion particle video tutorial. I think it really does a great job of explaining particles. I also have a link to a project file I've created for you to take a look at. The tutorial will explain why I used what behaviors. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Project File: 1128_bounce.motn.zip

Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Sam Morrill
on Sep 29, 2010 at 6:23:12 pm

Hey Stephen, thanks for the reply. Is there a way to bounce an object off of a surface other than the edges of the frame. I.e. I would like my object to come to bounce and come to a rest somewhere in the middle of the frame.

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Sep 29, 2010 at 6:16:12 pm

Hi Sam,

This is very quick and easy to do in Motion using Simulation behaviours - no keyframing involved at all.

Click here to see the demo movie

This took two minutes to make (literally). I drew the circle, positioned it at the bottom of the screen, then added Gravity and Edge Collision behaviours (both from the Simulations section of the behaviours list) and a Throw behaviour (from the Basic Motion behaviours).

Your layers list should look like this...

...and my parameters for the behaviours were as follows (adjust them all to taste):

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Sam Morrill
on Sep 29, 2010 at 6:22:09 pm

Wow, I love Creative Cow. Do either you guys know, though, how to bounce an object off of an imaginary surface within the frame as opposed to the edge of the frame? In other words, I want my object to come to a rest inside the frame. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 29, 2010 at 6:26:17 pm

You can move the edge. It is covered in the Motion particle video tutorial. http://library.creativecow.net/articles/smith_stephen/particle_party.php
Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Sam Morrill
on Sep 29, 2010 at 6:28:27 pm

Beautiful. Found it. Thanks for the help, Stephen.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 29, 2010 at 6:31:06 pm

Happy to help. Best of luck and let us know if you have any other questions.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]