FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion export mask issue DV codec

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Klusman
Motion export mask issue DV codec
on Sep 18, 2010 at 4:37:09 am

I'm having problems exporting DV footage with a mask from Motion. I'm using DV NTSC for the output as a quicktime file. Pulling the resulting clip back into FCP the masked area is black but not "transparent" such that underlying video layers should be visible through the masked areas but they are not.

I believe the issue is that DV does not have the alpha channel? Is this correct? If so is there any way to export DV footage from motion with the mask? Can the mask be applied to the color channels?

If DV simply will not allow export of a proper mask from Motion what is the next best codec? I have read suggestions for animation... and this does work for me but it must be re-rendered as I pull it into my FCP project and this is kind of a pain.

Thanks for any advice!
Paul Klusman

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Motion export mask issue DV codec
on Sep 18, 2010 at 6:41:29 am

Yep- it's because DV as a codec does not contain an alpha channel. If you want footage to return from Motion with one- you would need to export it using either the Animation or ProRes 444 codec. Don't forget you can also drop in a Motion project directly into a timeline in FCP as a clip...

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Paul Klusman
on Sep 18, 2010 at 2:09:24 pm

Thanks Noah!

Stupid DV. I gotta upgrade one of these days!

I'm hesitant to drop the motion project into FCP directly. The final edit will be very complex with lots of compositing and I'm afraid I'll have problems if there are too many Motion-FCP links. Also I have not figured out exactly where Motion scatters all of its working files. With FCP I can designate a single folder location for all of the files for video, audio, thumbnails, auto save, etc. I have not figured out how to do this for Motion.

Do you know of any online references that explain all of the working files for Motion?

Paul

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Sep 18, 2010 at 4:13:55 pm

If you don't want to embed the Motion project file in FCP and you want an alpha channel, then export from Motion as ProRes 4444, which supports an alpha.

When you save your Motion project, you have the option to collect all the assets to a specific folder.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Paul Klusman
on Sep 18, 2010 at 4:51:35 pm

Sweet! I check out the assets saving option.

Thanks Mark!

Return to posts index

fernando Vallarino
on Aug 8, 2011 at 6:48:43 pm

Hi, I´m writting from Spain... I´ve problems exporting a mask from Motion graphics 4. I apply this mask to a text. The video it´s apple prores422 and I can see it well in motion timeline but the export material it looks bad, out of sync, about five frames of mask all together.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 8, 2011 at 7:35:18 pm

Do you want the mask to be transparent?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Paul Klusman
on Aug 9, 2011 at 3:00:03 am

I would suggest you export the text without the mask. Use the same codec for export. Open a new Motion project and import the rendered text - it is now just pure Apple Prores footage rather than "text" and the mask should work fine. Good luck!

Return to posts index

fernando Vallarino
on Aug 9, 2011 at 9:33:41 am

After trying the hole nigth I did It! The problem was that the original material (quicktime apple prores 422, 1920x1080) was not optimized for Fina Cut Pro ( a new this cause when I import the material to the FCP a long window appears saying so, but I didn´t give it importance cause let me import anyway) So, I import, export the specific shot from FCP with the same codec... then import that shot and then send it to Motion.
The mask export perfect.
Thank you

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]