FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion crashing

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Kaelin
Motion crashing
on Sep 16, 2010 at 8:29:10 pm

Now I used to do this all the time in AE, but I just went to Mac and have yet to purchase a new copy. I am doing a stylized credit roll, but just a roll, no effects filters, I just wanted to justify different blocks on different parts of screen. There are A LOT of credits, system was surprisingly slow. I put credits in groups, then all these sub groups into another group. It includes Images for logos. I just did a simple Y translation on the main group...roll up. All of the text was copy/pasted from docs into motion using text tool. Result should be very nice, credits over fireworks. But it crashes constantly. I have started doing as a TGA sequence, so at least I don't lose what it has already done, I can restart where it crashes. When I did a Quicktime movie, fireworks were not keying through in back. TGA files look great, have key, and play fine, but program keeps crashing and I need to pick up point and restart. I know this happened tome in an older version of AE, something to do with memory allocation settings, adjusted those, never had problem again. Does Motion have a similar setting? BTW, I only have Motion 3, haven't upgraded because update came out right after I bought, and I am quite unimpressed as a whole, lots of little things an editor expects are missing, and I have seen no evidence in post that they have been added in. I wanted to work more on it and see if I like it, and just haven't gotten around to update. Over-all Final Cut has been very stable and reliable, which I like, but a lot of flaws/limitations none-the-less. System is a MacPro, 2x4core Xeon 3.06Ghz processors(8 cores) 12 GB ram, 5TB raid.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Motion crashing
on Sep 16, 2010 at 8:44:19 pm

Rich,
Sorry you are having troubles. Here is an article on troubleshooting: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1885

Also, I know this doesn't help but, Motion 4 now has a Credit Roll feature that helps you do credits with ease. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Rich Kaelin
on Sep 16, 2010 at 8:59:09 pm

Thanks, I'll read the article. Right now, I just need to keep working on edit as motion chugs in background. Any ideas on why so slow, System is smoking fast, but motion seems to render very slow, 3+ hours for a 2m15s credit roll is system estimate...it is in HD.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 16, 2010 at 9:08:59 pm

Are you taking the Motion project file and importing it into Motion and then rendering it? And it is rendering really slow?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Rich Kaelin
on Sep 16, 2010 at 9:50:20 pm

I am creating and rendering in motion. Whether or not I work in FCP at the same time seems to have no effect on speed or stability. Plus now background is not rendering in TGA files either, but there is an alpha channel that works. I will just need to re-render the first few hundred images. Very odd and inconsistent. I think the amount of text overwhelmed the program...there are probably 20 thousand characters, if not more.

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Sep 17, 2010 at 3:33:07 pm

we do loads of car spots in Motion from beginning to end.

I can say without hesitation that the text engine in motion slows renders immensely.

for our disclaimers blocks, I will routinely save those items out as Stills with alpha after I set them and place the images in the comp and mute the original texts objects (in case I need to go back and edit)

this is apparent if you have shadows, edges, and what not applied in the object.

having to calculate essentially the same information over and over again is pretty wasteful...and motion is not that good at it to begin with.

so if what's happening within the text element is basically static and then you are manipulating the group...

follow this practice and you will see your render times drop dramatically...

Alex

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]