FORUMS: list search recent posts

exporting a portion of croma keyed footage

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Top Manta
exporting a portion of croma keyed footage
on Sep 16, 2010 at 11:46:10 am

Hi, I´m trying to export a portion of keyed HDV footage of an actor to achieve the minimum size mov. (after removing mattes, ect) for later compositing in 3D space, without overly straining the processor. I have previously used After Effects to define a Region of Interest in a composition for export. Is there an equivalent tool or method available in Motion?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: exporting a portion of croma keyed footage
on Sep 16, 2010 at 1:05:54 pm

Set a play range and export just the play range.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Top Manta
on Sep 16, 2010 at 3:45:48 pm

Thanks for the quick response Mark.

Sorry, I don´t think I formulated my question very clearly. I meant a spatial portion of the clip or rather, can it be cropped to export only a desired area of the canvas? I realize I could create a smaller, approximately sized canvas, drag the keyed video footage on to it and then export, however, I was wondering if there was a more direct technique.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Sep 16, 2010 at 5:18:29 pm

You could export via Compressor and use the cropping capabilities there to adjust the size of the exported frame. But you may want to convert out of HDV if you're planning on compositing elsewhere. HDV is not a good codec of FX work.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Top Manta
on Sep 17, 2010 at 3:21:00 pm

The red cropping tool in compressor is just the kind of thing I was looking for, as it allows one to adjust the cropping values visually over the image rather than typing them in. However, the rest of the export, setup and render process seems to take noticeably longer than doing it from within Motion by resizing the canvas. One can only hope that a future edition of Motion will incorporate such a useful visual cropping tool.

I have converted the HDV to and exported with ProRes 4444 and the keyed edges look much smoother.

Thanks very much for your suggestions Andy, I like to learn of the different options available.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]