FORUMS: list search recent posts

"painting" a key matte

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Heldman
"painting" a key matte
on Sep 15, 2010 at 3:20:46 am

I'm an FCP editor who uses Motion occasionally to draw mattes, create titles, and do simple tracks.

Recently I've been using motion for chroma keys using Primatte. My workflow is to copy my foreground element to a higher layer, then send the the lower copy (V2) to Motion. I then work in Primatte and send the black and white matte back to FCP. I then apply a luma travel matte to V3. I go through all this to preserve the timecode of the source since I am working offline only.

Material I'm working with now was not shot well. I cannot extract a clean key. Is there any way in Motion to create the chroma key matte, then "paint" on that matte to clean it up? I suppose I could export the matte then reimport it and treat it like a simple graphic element, but is there an easier way?

Or is my whole workflow wacky? Any help appreciated.

Michael Heldman

Return to posts index

Michael Heldman
Re: "painting" a key matte
on Sep 15, 2010 at 4:09:38 am

OOPS

Nevermind.

You CAN paint on the matte. When the output of primatte is "matte" as opposed to "processed foreground" or whatever, the matte is treated as a graphic element and can be treated like any other b&w graphic.

I shoulda tried harder before I posted.

Michael

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 15, 2010 at 2:23:13 pm

Not that I want to discourage you from using Motion. However, the Primatte RT keyer is also available in FCP so you don't need to go to Motion to use that keyer if you don't want. If you heavily use masks then Motion is definitely better at that. Hope this was of help.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 15, 2010 at 3:26:54 pm

Yup- and there are other keying solutions as plug-ins for FCP that do a great job.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 15, 2010 at 4:49:44 pm

Ultimatte Advantedge is a great keyer. You will be amazed at how well it does hair. It is not cheap and has no video training tutorials.

http://www.ultimatte.com/UltimatteMain/AdvantEdge.html

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Michael Heldman
on Sep 15, 2010 at 7:20:02 pm

Thank you all for your quick and helpful responses.

I had simply forgotten that Primatte is available in FCP, although without the cool interface available in Motion.

Michael

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 16, 2010 at 3:01:05 pm

Happy to help, best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Jake Critchley
on Oct 12, 2010 at 4:44:01 pm

Absolutely nothing to do with your original post I'm affraid Michael but, did you once work with an artist / set designer by the name of Eric Critchley? An Englishman from Bolton?

Cheers

Jake

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]