FORUMS: list search recent posts

Simulate a Projector

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Imbrigiotta
Simulate a Projector
on Sep 11, 2010 at 4:20:04 am

I'm trying to simulate an old school projector on footage of a factory wall. This is a political ad so I can't post a reference file. Basically, our candidate gives a line to camera in an abandoned factory then the camera pans to a grungy wall. On this wall I hope to simulate a projection of a clip of our opposition candidate delivering a line about outsourcing jobs (you know - widely out of context - typical political spot).

Right now I have the clip in final cut using an overlay blend mode. I also have the bad tv filter tweaking around to simulate a slight waviness.

I'm looking for any advice to add to the overall look of this effect.

I've found some simulations on YouTube that MIGHT work:

This clip seems like it's got some nice qualities (although, I'm not going to actually show the projector itself). I like the slightly moving screen and the flickering light.

I'm thinking that some combination of a blend mode and animating a solid matte to luma key through might be the way. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for the help.
-T.J.

T.J. Imbrigiotta
Envision Communications, Inc.
Washington DC
http://envisioncommunicationsinc.com

Mac Pro
2 x 3.2GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon
6GB RAM
AJA Kona LHe
OS 10.6.4

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Simulate a Projector
on Sep 11, 2010 at 4:58:43 pm

I doubt a luma key is necessary at all. You can simulate the frame with a simple mask and a bit of feather.

Everything else can be simulated using the Bad Film filter (it's right above the Bad TV filter).

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Sep 14, 2010 at 10:50:01 pm

Just as a couple of extra ideas, I find that using a shape to create a "hot spot" in the middle of the projector screen helps to sell the effect, as does using a wriggle behaviour on the opacity (just a small amount).

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 15, 2010 at 5:32:47 pm

Keep in mind that old film was shot on 24 frames per second or less. The 30 second frame rate really does feel different then 24. When you shoot the footage that you will make look old keep that in mind.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]