FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting Motion Titles to Anamorphic Film Sequence

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Crowson
Exporting Motion Titles to Anamorphic Film Sequence
on Sep 2, 2010 at 12:43:15 pm

Hi. I'm trying to export my motion titles (settings - Pal D1/DV Anamorphic, 1.42; 720 x 576; in the Pal Broadcast SD initial setting) to my FCP6 project which is anamorphic, and when I export the motion titles they do not end up widescreen, so when I put them into the film sequence, there is black either side of the white title and the logos do not appear where I want them. How do I export the motion titles so that they end up being the same dimensions as the project I created - anamorphic?

Cheers, Andy

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Exporting Motion Titles to Anamorphic Film Sequence
on Sep 2, 2010 at 1:06:22 pm

Why export at all? Just drop your Motion project into your FCP sequence. If they still aren't widescreen, press command-9 to get project properties and make sure there is a checkmark in the Anamorphic column.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Andy Crowson
on Sep 2, 2010 at 1:17:59 pm

Ok - thanks. I did all that , rendered, and still the motion title is not widescreen... Next suggestion??

Return to posts index

Andy Crowson
on Sep 2, 2010 at 1:26:12 pm

... I need to get to the bottom of why the motion project is not turning out to be widescreen as I set it up when I drop it into FCP6 or export it. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Sep 2, 2010 at 1:27:33 pm

Did you confirm the anamorphic flag is set? It sometimes gets missed between FCP and Motion - that is the usual culprit.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Andy Crowson
on Sep 2, 2010 at 1:36:58 pm

Got it! the last step was to open the Motion Project clip in the Final Cut Pro Viewer and select the Motion tab then click to open the disclosure triangle for the Distort parameters, then change the Aspect Ratio parameter from 33.33 to 0. But what about exporting the motion so that it retains the anamorphic settings I worked with? I have been making menus for the dvd in Motion and all the tifs are coming out 4:3 rather than anamorphic... Definitely need to be anamorphic to work...

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Sep 2, 2010 at 1:50:07 pm

Adding a checkmark to the Anamorphic parameter in project properties, as I suggested, does the same thing as changing the Aspect ratio directly like you did. Like I said, sometimes the flag gets lost between Motion and FCP. Nothing you can do about it.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Andy Crowson
on Sep 2, 2010 at 2:15:28 pm

Yes - I did that, honestly! But it needed the final step as I described to work. Perhaps my machine is set up differently from yours... What about my query on exporting motion to retain anamorphic - any ideas?

Cheers, Andy

Return to posts index

Ged Yeates
on Sep 5, 2010 at 3:36:32 pm

Hello Andy

The mistake you initially made was placing the rendered file directly in the FCP timeline BEFORE ticking the 16:9 anamorphic setting on the clip.

When you place a 4:3 clip in the FCP timeline it will retain the aspect ratio, hence the pillar boxing you saw. I know you were using a 16:9 clip but you need to give FCP this information.

As Mark Spencer says there is absolutely no need to go into the FCP motion tab, in fact this will degrade the look of your title, you should always select the clip in the bin and tick the anamorphic tab there.

The confusion arises because PAL 16:9 and 4:3 are exactly the same pixel size, 720 x 576 (as you have already noted). You also noted that 16:9 has an aspect ratio of 1.42 but as I mentioned earlier you need to tell FCP this clip is 16:9 by ticking the anamorphic column in the bin window or tight clicking and choosing 'item properties' and ticking anamorphic in there. THEN, and only then, add it to the timeline and it will be full resolution 16:9 anamorphic.

However the simplest solution of all is that which Mark Spencer suggested, simply import the Motion project into FCP. Then tick the 16:9 anamorphic column or in item properties before you add to the timeline. You will then have the correct aspect ratio in full resolution and the ability to right click and open in 'Motion' (open in editor) and make any changes if required. It dispenses with a whole stage of rendering and importing.

The confusion can arise as DV footage sometimes carries (though not always) the 16:9 flag but formats such as ProRes 422 mainly do not; you always need to tick the anamorphic option BEFORE adding to the FCP timeline.

This is purely an SD issue due to the two aspect ratios having non square pixels but exactly the same dimensions. If you remember this you soon get into the habit of choosing 16:9. It's not really a failing and requires virtually no effort to get right once you are aware of the potential pitfalls, as I say it is just one of the things that you have to be aware of when using SD. You'll soon be doing it without even thinking about it.

Bye - Ged Yeates

Ged Yeates - Lighting Cameraman
http://www.gedtv.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]