FORUMS: list search recent posts

New keyframe affects all

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
hoss wuerslin
New keyframe affects all
on Aug 27, 2010 at 7:23:18 pm

Hello;
New to all this. Did a forum search of my problem, but my wording came up empty.
I'm learning to keyframe. I basically know how from online tuts, but my problem is that i can't stop the parameters of a new keyframe from messing with all the keyframes that came before it.

Example: I hit the record button. I have a photo of someone that rises up from the bottom of the frame(keyframe). Now i want them to expand (new keyframe).

I go back to start and watch. The person rises up BUT also starts expanding right away! It doesn't wait till the playhead hits the keyframe were that's suppose to happen.

Why? How do i stop the parameters of my newest keyframe from infecting all those that came before it?

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: New keyframe affects all
on Aug 27, 2010 at 7:44:20 pm

Hit Command and 8 to open up the Keyframe Editor. There you can look at the different animations to see if you are missing a key frame or something. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

hoss wuerslin
on Aug 27, 2010 at 8:11:09 pm

Well... I have been looking at that. What I just tried was manually going in and creating a keyframe for the X then Y then Z. I was assuming that i could just turn on record, shift the object however, and the whole thing would just pick up from the last keyframe.
Nope.
Now when i looked closer in the keyframe editor, I noticed that the 'transformpostionY wasn't being given a keyframe and when i manually went in and added one, it all worked.
Odd.
Thanks for responding though.
hoss

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 27, 2010 at 9:07:48 pm

This is my work flow. Add a keyframe to the Position so you get a X, Y and Z keyframe. Then turn on the record button. When you move stuff around further down the time line it will add keyframes only to the parameters changed. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

hoss wuerslin
on Aug 30, 2010 at 7:16:33 pm

Hey all;
Again thanks for the great advice; everything is up and working.

A follow up: I found some of the space between keyframes much too short, and i want to increase the playtime space.

In Flash, I can put the playhead in postion, select all the layers i want to affect, and keep adding frames to increase the play time of the file.

Is such a thing possible in motion, or do i need to grab and drag each individual keyframe?

Thank you,
Hoss

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 30, 2010 at 8:13:55 pm

In the Timeline if the "Show Keyframe" button is selected you can select a keyframe and hold down the command key and select more keyframes. In this view you will only see one keyframe that represent everything. Like the X, Y and Z position. If you only want to move the X position. Go to the keyframe Editor and you can drag and select multiple keyframes. You can also make only certain keyframes visible such as only the Z and Y position and move them. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

hoss wuerslin
on Aug 30, 2010 at 8:35:58 pm

Yes, it does a bit. I was just hoping it was like flash where you shift the entire movie - every layer! - down the timeline without disturbing the movie layout other then to exend the experience of it.

thank you though for helping,
Hoss

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Aug 30, 2010 at 8:55:06 pm

Well, if you're interested in extending the layers, that can be just just as easily by selecting each layer, and moving down the timeline as far as you want, and then hitting O on the keyboard to extend the OUT point of those layers. However, this does NOT alter the position or relative position of the keyframes.

There is a box tool in the keyframe editor that will allow you to extend the relative distance between keyframes.

I'm having a hard time understanding exactly which you are trying to do because you seem to be using the terms layers and keyframes interchangeably.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

hoss wuerslin
on Aug 31, 2010 at 6:38:21 pm

Hey Andy;

Let's see if this makes more sense. I have three layers: a tree, a car, a cloud.

Layer tree fades in, followed by car, then cloud.

Watching this, i decide it's all too short.

Now if i were in Flash, I could park my playhead on the tree layer, select the tree layer, then hit F5 to add frames, making the layer longer and thus that part of the movie play longer.

BUT! that upsets the relationship/placement i so carefully(?) created with the other layers.

So what i really should do is put the playhead where i need to add frames, select ALL layers, add the extra frames to ALL layers, and the relationship between all the layers (example: the fade in relationship to others) stays the same! while the movie gets longer too!

I'm hoping motion can do this, because right now i'm having to go to a layer, stretch it out, then move all the other layers down the timeline to set the whole mess back up so that it plays the way i want it to - tedious.

Does all this make more sense?

Hoss

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Aug 31, 2010 at 7:19:21 pm

I think I understand you now. You're spending a lot of time trying to get Motion to behave like Flash when Motion can actually do the things you want much easier and quicker than Flash.

You can do your Fade In with a behavior instead of keyframes. Just select the layer and click Add Behavior/Basic Motion/Fade In-Out. Adjust the fade out slider to 0 and the fade in slider to whatever you want.

To lengthen or shorten a layer, you can place the playhead wherever in the timeline you wish the layer to end up and hit O on the keyboard to lengthen/shorten the OUT point of the clip. Or I to lengthen/shorten the IN point of a clip.

In addition, you can open the Timing Pane (F6), select as many layers as you want, and drag the ends to lengthen/shorten those layers relative to each other.

There are many other means by which to manipulate the position of layers in the timeline, which you should be able to find in the manual. But those relate to the example you give above.

Andy

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Aug 27, 2010 at 10:35:46 pm

I think you're treating the record keyframes button like the stopwatch in After Effects. It doesn't work like that.

In Motion, you move the playhead where you want the animation to start (if it's not at the first frame of the project). Then, OPT+click the animation menu for the parameter(s) that you want to animate.

Then turn on the Record Keyframes button and move the playhead where you want the animation to finish and move the layer appropriately. Keyframes will then be created automatically.

Andy

Return to posts index

hoss wuerslin
on Aug 30, 2010 at 1:12:41 pm

Thank you all for your help. I'm going to give it a shot now.
Thanks
Hoss

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]