FORUMS: list search recent posts

Changing the settings on a FCP project with embedded Motion

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Johnson
Changing the settings on a FCP project with embedded Motion
on Aug 26, 2010 at 3:13:47 pm

I have a FCP project that was created for a web-only online training course, which includes screen grabs of applications in use. For maximum crispness of the end result I created the FCP project at the resolution it was going to be used on the web, so the screen grabs would remain pixel-perfect and crisp. The project contains various graphical overlays created in Motion and embedded into the project.

Now it has been decided that parts of the video may be used on a HDTV screen at a show, and so I would like to export it in a HD format with the motion sequences re-rendered for the higher resolution. Of course the screen grabs are going to become a little blurry, and there is not much I can do about that. However, however I try the motion sequences are also blurry - it seems they are not re-rendered at the higher resolution, but at the original resolution and then upscaled.

How can I make the Motion sequences crisp without having to modify all the original Motion files?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Changing the settings on a FCP project with embedded Motion
on Aug 26, 2010 at 4:07:22 pm

You can create a new sequence at the HD size. Make sure all of the content in the original project is in a group. Drag the group to the new sequence and increase the group size to the proper size. Make sure you set the quality to best and all vector based content like text will look good. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

James Johnson
on Aug 26, 2010 at 4:18:56 pm

What do you mean by "Make sure all of the content in the original project is in a group" - there isn't such a thing as a "group" in FCP as far as I am aware?

I have a FCP project with various Motion files embedded within in. I want to change the rendering settings within FCP without having to change the settings in all the Motion files. Are you misunderstanding me or am I misunderstanding you?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 26, 2010 at 4:26:31 pm

The only setting you can change in FCP is to set the Render Quality to Best. That can be done by going to Sequence, Settings, Render Control tab and then set quality to Best. I feel if you could change the actual size of the Motion Project you will get your best quality.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]