FORUMS: list search recent posts

Make a still image wink

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Caton Clark
Make a still image wink
on Aug 25, 2010 at 8:52:30 pm

Anyone know how to make a still image wink in motion? I've got a historical portrait that I would like to wink at the audience. I've tried cutting out around the eye and messing with size and aspect to close it, but it looks very awkward. I've seen it done elsewhere successfully, so i wonder if i'm missing something.

Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Make a still image wink
on Aug 25, 2010 at 8:57:55 pm

Often time the image will be taken into Photoshop. One layer will be the original and the second layer will be the eye painted out and made to look closed. Some times cloned from another photo of a closed eye. Then the layered psd is brought into Motion where you can have the second layer just appear where you want it. The effect happens so fast it gives the illusion that the eye just blinked when you just jumped from one layer to the other. People don't expect a super realistic looking blink because they are looking at a still photo that can't blink in real life. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Aug 26, 2010 at 9:54:23 pm

Another approach would be to create a Bezier shape over the eye to give the impression of it being closed, and then animate it over a few frames to give the impression of it opening and closing.

Return to posts index

Caton Clark
on Aug 26, 2010 at 10:26:12 pm

I used a combination of these to make it work. I placed two copies of the image on top of each other, and animated them as one (i needed to move around the image). When the animation came to a stop I inserted a circle matte over the eye on the top image, then I sandwiched a bezier mattes of both the upper and lower lid in between the two images and brought them together for two frames and then removed them.

It's a little hacky but it got a laugh and a "nice wink" response. Victory.

Thanks for all the help.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 26, 2010 at 10:28:35 pm

Happy to help. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>