FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frame rate conversion

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Taki Oldham
Frame rate conversion
on Aug 20, 2010 at 7:14:14 am

Hi,
I am converting a PAL 25fps film to NTSC 30fps and want to convert the motion files separately. Therefore I have 2 questions:

1. What might be the best way (apart from going in and retiming each element of each motion project) to adjust the timing of each element (or preferable content as a whole) so it will match the timing of the original PAL project? (ie. just copying and pasting the 25fps content into a 30fps project will obviously decrease the project length and therefore throw the timing off)?

2. Does anybody know of a batch export work around?

Many thanks,
Taki

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Frame rate conversion
on Aug 20, 2010 at 2:36:39 pm

Final Cut Studio can take clips of any format and place them in any timeline. The program will convert the frame rate for you. However, if you want to do the best conversion I would use Compressor. With the small amount of Pal clips I've worked with I thought FCS conversion was great. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Taki Oldham
on Aug 20, 2010 at 2:59:41 pm

Hi Stephen,
Thanks for your response. While I have tried the final cut / compressor and other frame rate conversion - the problem is they are taking the quicktime file created from the motion project and re-interpreting it from 25 to 30 fps - causing the usual issues one gets with format conversion.

Hence what I was really after was whether anyone knows of a way to do such a process within motion before the quicktime file is created. I tried, for example, putting all of my folders into one master group, then copying and pasting this from a 25fps project into a 30fps project and then adding a retiming behaviour onto it but retiming seems only to work on individual tracks, not on groups.

For example:
I have a 25fps 10 second project. = 250 frames (25 x 10)
When I drop this into a 30 fps project the 250 frames now = 08:10
this obviously throws the timing off.

Now I could go in a retime all elements individually. But if there is a way to just stretch the whole thing from 250 to 300 frames that would be perfect. I could just then drop this on to a 30fps timeline and voila! a 10 second NTSC ready clip.

PS As I am not dealing with any video footage I dont need to worry about the effect it might have on video.

Thanks
Taki

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Aug 20, 2010 at 4:22:54 pm

You try putting everything in a group, cloning the group, turning off the group, and retiming the clone. Won't always work with 3D projects.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Taki Oldham
on Aug 22, 2010 at 3:56:44 am

Many thanks guys.
Works great for 2d projects,will just go in an manually retime the 3d ones. thanks again for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]