FORUMS: list search recent posts

Image size for Motion

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Minskoff
Image size for Motion
on Aug 15, 2010 at 4:18:39 pm

Hello,
I am working on a project in FCP 7 that is DV/DVCPRO-NTSC, 29.97 fps, 720 x 480, Pixel aspect is NTSC-CCIR 601. I want to use a image (a screen grab from google maps) in my project. I am going to import the image into Motion 4 as I want to make the image move or pan and zoom nothing crazy just a simple move across the screen. I am not sure what the right size the image should be. The image is a screen grab from google maps street view so I will bring it into photoshop but not sure what dimensions I should use. I know that it has to be larger then my sequence setting which is 720x480 but how much larger?
Thank you,
Brad

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Image size for Motion
on Aug 15, 2010 at 4:20:36 pm

Depends how much you want to zoom in- just try it....

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Aug 15, 2010 at 4:29:57 pm

If it's a screen grab then there's nothing to decide - it is what it is.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Brad Minskoff
on Aug 15, 2010 at 4:34:48 pm

I can still enlarge it in photoshop to an extent.

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Aug 18, 2010 at 6:52:23 am

What I'd do is look up the relevant Google Maps page on the computer with the highest-res display I could find, and take a screen grab of that. On my MacBook Pro that would be 1680x1050, which at 72dpi should give you plenty of room to pan and zoom in a 720x480 project. Or am I missing something?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 18, 2010 at 1:28:37 pm

Google maps are copyrighted. Take a look at Google Maps Pro. http://www.google.com/enterprise/earthmaps/earth_pro.html
It's maps are not water marked and give you a lot more options. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Brad Minskoff
on Aug 18, 2010 at 1:36:39 pm

Hello,
Thank you for your responding to my post. You need to have a company to register for the Google Maps Pro trial, and I don't have my own company. I would love to try the trial but not sure If I can do it without a company?
Aside from that what about just a regurlar photo that was teken using a digital camera. What should I resize the image to before I bring into Motion and make it move? I have still yet to figure out how I can zoom in or out of a image taken from camera?
I appreciate all of your help!
Thanks,
Brad

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 18, 2010 at 1:44:01 pm

Brad,
Are you a student and this is a student project?

As for stills, always make it 72dpi. I like to make it a little bigger then the size of the project I'm working on. If I'm going to zoom in a lot then I make it a lot bigger the the size of the project I'm working on. I guess what I'm saying is, for me it is not an exact science. I have a broadcast monitor so if it is not big enough I'll know real quick. I've accidentally brought in super huge pictures and they work great except for the render in FCP time.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Brad Minskoff
on Aug 18, 2010 at 2:06:47 pm

No I am not a Student. The size of my FCP project is 720x480 so that would be the size of my Motion project right? I guess that there is no way I can download the Google Maps Pro Trial right?
Thank you,
Brad

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 18, 2010 at 2:21:15 pm

I highly recommend you create a business, even if you only do free lance work. If you get sued for a project you did they can come after you. If you have a business they can only come after the assets in the businesses name. So your personal assets are protected. A business licensee in my state is only $15. You can form a company on legalzoom for really cheap. Something to think about.

But yeah, you would want your still to be bigger then 720 x 480. The further you are going to zoom the bigger you would want your image to be.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 18, 2010 at 2:30:18 pm

Also,
If you are going to zoom in a big distance such as the Whole USA to the city of Boise you will need to use multiple maps. Here is how it works. You have a map of the US. Then a map of Idaho. Then a map of Boise. You take the Idaho map and lay it on top of the USA map. Create a mask around the Idaho map with a feathered edge to blend it into the USA map. Do the same thing with the Boise map. Animate the camera so it zooms from the whole USA to Boise. That will help maintain the quality when you reach the final destination that would have been lost had you just had one map to work with. Hope this makes sense and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Brad Minskoff
on Aug 22, 2010 at 1:18:52 pm

Hello,
I took your advice and I downloaded Google Earth Pro. I am now trying to create a movie in gogle Earth Pro and import into Motion/FCP 7. I am also taking a screen shot of Google Earth Pro and trying to use that in Motion.
I am looking for any resources online that will help me accomplish what I am trying to do. If you have any suggestions that would be great.
Thank you,
Brad

Return to posts index

Brad Minskoff
on Aug 22, 2010 at 1:19:12 pm

Hello,
I took your advice and I downloaded Google Earth Pro. I am now trying to create a movie in gogle Earth Pro and import into Motion/FCP 7. I am also taking a screen shot of Google Earth Pro and trying to use that in Motion.
I am looking for any resources online that will help me accomplish what I am trying to do. If you have any suggestions that would be great.
Thank you,
Brad

Return to posts index

Brad Minskoff
on Aug 22, 2010 at 2:13:19 pm

Hello,
Google Earth Pro is great but I cant afford it I have the trial and it is watermarked but goog to know in the future if I save up it would be a great tool.
Thank you,
Brad

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 24, 2010 at 7:24:27 pm

NASA's web site also has lots of satellite pictures. The only problem is, sometimes it is hard to find the ones you are looking for.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]