FORUMS: list search recent posts

Changing size of text box

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Nelson
Changing size of text box
on Aug 13, 2010 at 11:50:48 pm

Man, one question just leads to another, don't it?

I've made some lower third templates in Motion for FCP and I thought I had all the kinks worked out. But I just inserted a name that's longer than the one I made up in Motion and the text ends up wrapping to two lines. (Clarification, skip this if you're with me so far. In Motion I used "Bob Smith" for the first line of my L3. I now need to put "Englebert Humperdinck's" name on the screen in FCP. When I enter it, I get "Englebert" and then "Humperdinck" is on another line.)

I figured, OK, just go back into Motion, stretch out the text box and Save as Template again. Except stretching out the text box simply distorts the existing text. Do I need to make a really long name in Motion or, and I'm sure this is the case, is there some way to extend this box without distorting the text?

Martin

2 x 2.26 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
12 GB RAM
OS 10.5.8
ATI Radeon HD 4870
FCP 7.0.2
Quicktime 7.6.6
Avid Media Composer 4.0.2.20

Return to posts index

Martin Nelson
Re: Changing size of text box
on Aug 13, 2010 at 11:53:59 pm

It occurs to me, btw, this is a special case. I've got several blocks of text for the second line of my third that are longer than what I put in the original template. Hmm.

Martin

12 GB RAM
OS 10.5.8
ATI Radeon HD 4870
FCP 7.0.2
Quicktime 7.6.6
Avid Media Composer 4.0.2.20

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Aug 14, 2010 at 12:58:55 pm

Hi Martin,

You might want to check out this tutorial: Adjustable Master Templates

It shows how to use the Link behaviour in Motion 4 to do exactly (I think!) what you want.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Aug 14, 2010 at 3:44:05 pm

It sounds to me as if did something wrong when making the template. Normally, if you type an abnormally long name into a template, the name simply writes off the frame and you have to adjust the text size to see the whole thing.

Sounds like when you build your template, you may have set the layout method to Paragraph (in the layout portion of the text tab of the inspector). Paragraph will auto wrap words that are typed beyond the margins. You should open your Motion template and change the layout to Type, then re-save as template and replace the wrong one. You will have to close FCP and reopen to see the changes, but it should solve the problem.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Martin Nelson
on Aug 14, 2010 at 9:06:46 pm

Thanks, Andy, I\'ll look into that.

Martin

12 GB RAM
OS 10.5.8
ATI Radeon HD 4870