FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lower third lo-rez to hi-rez workflow

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Nelson
Lower third lo-rez to hi-rez workflow
on Aug 11, 2010 at 9:40:36 pm

This would come under the 'Motion Basic' forum if there were one, but I'll have to start here.

I'm looking for a decent guide or white paper or whatever to building lower thirds in Motion that can easily be taken from a lo-rez FCP project (DV/DVCPro NTSC) to an up-rez (some form of HD, it's not clear yet) with a minimum of fuss. I have no doubt a suitably phrased search would find me several decent threads on the subject, but I haven't hit on the right one yet.

I've got a doc with a million lower thirds. Even though I'm still in the offline stage, I have to include all the thirds throughout for screening. I'm just trying to find a way to minimize the amount of work I'll have to completely redo when I go to HD. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Martin

2 x 2.26 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
12 GB RAM
OS 10.5.8
ATI Radeon HD 4870
FCP 7.0.2
Quicktime 7.6.6
Avid Media Composer 4.0.2.20

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Lower third lo-rez to hi-rez workflow
on Aug 11, 2010 at 10:04:00 pm

This is my thought. If the SD version is just temporary I would build the Lower Thirds in HD. Then import the HD version into FCP and resize it to fit. Then you'll be good to go when you need the HD version. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Aug 11, 2010 at 11:07:05 pm

Minimum of fuss:

Build the L3s as an HD Motion Template that can be accessed in FCP. Add all your CGs and render for screener. Presumably you are working in an anamorphic DV sequence (if you're ending up in 16x9 HD), so the L3s will automatically size down. Then when you do the online, the same L3s can be copied and pasted into the HD sequence.

No retyping, no re-exporting from Motion. The perfect way to handle a "million" L3s (really, you should think about losing a few) :-)

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Martin Nelson
on Aug 11, 2010 at 11:29:52 pm

[Andy Neil] "really, you should think about losing a few) :-)"

You have no idea, Andy. The client (which is to say the producer's client) wants a third to show up every time someone appears on screen, even if the last time was only seconds ago. And there are an endless number of characters, some of which require three lines of text despite being on screen for only a few seconds.

This is one of those unfortunate shows being built for the funder rather than the audience.

[Andy Neil] "Build the L3s as an HD Motion Template that can be accessed in FCP. Add all your CGs and render"

Do you suggest I just do one name in Motion and then edit the text in FCP?

Martin

12 GB RAM
OS 10.5.8
ATI Radeon HD 4870
FCP 7.0.2
Quicktime 7.6.6

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Aug 12, 2010 at 12:24:07 am

Well, if you have some supers that are 2 line, and others that are 1 or 3 line, then you'll need to make a template for each type usually, but essentially that is what I'm suggesting.

Motion and FCP are fairly well integrated. If you go to your Effects tab, you should see a folder called Master Templates. These are actually Motion projects that can be accessed in FCP that are designed for repetitive gfx like lower thirds.

You can create your own L3s in Motion and then Save As Template, allowing for the gfx to show up in FCP. The text layers will be editable in FCP, so you can just lay as many L3 instances as you need and just change the text for each super.

I'm pretty sure that there is a Motion Template tutorial somewhere here on the Cow that can get you started if you've never done anything like that.

Andy

Return to posts index

Martin Nelson
on Aug 12, 2010 at 3:58:08 am

Thanks Andy. Ah man, the amount of time I've wasted in FCP on thirds.

Martin

12 GB RAM
OS 10.5.8
ATI Radeon HD 4870
FCP 7.0.2
Quicktime 7.6.6

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 12, 2010 at 2:19:06 pm

Here is a tutorial on Creating Customized Apple Motion Templates.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Martin Nelson
on Aug 12, 2010 at 6:32:03 pm

Ah man, Stephen, that was great. Showed me just what I needed, thanks.

So here's the bonus question. Using this perfect little template I've made with your guidance, I cut 8 million (or so it seems) thirds into my show. Then, three weeks from now, my producer decides she really likes blue instead of red and Futura instead of Helvetica. Can I open the Motion project from which the template came, change red to blue and Helvetica to Futura and save it as a template with the exact same name as the previous one —replacing the old template— and go back into fcp and relink? Will that work?

That would be cool,

Martin

12 GB RAM
OS 10.5.8
ATI Radeon HD 4870
FCP 7.0.2
Quicktime 7.6.6

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 12, 2010 at 11:17:43 pm

I like bonus questions and Futura is one of my favorite fonts. Anyways, Yes you can change the Motion Templates Font and color to a matte or whatever, if you save the new Motion Template as the same name as the old one so it replaces the old template. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Martin Nelson
on Aug 13, 2010 at 8:58:55 pm

Thanks Stephen, that's a great piece of news.

Martin

12 GB RAM
OS 10.5.8
ATI Radeon HD 4870
FCP 7.0.2
Quicktime 7.6.6

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 13, 2010 at 9:07:01 pm

Happy to help and great questions.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Martin Nelson
on Aug 13, 2010 at 9:41:37 pm

[Stephen Smith] " Yes you can change the Motion Templates Font and color to a matte or whatever, if you save the new Motion Template as the same name as the old one so it replaces the old template"

OK, so I put that to the test, Stephen. We're doing the Title line in all caps, all the same height. I had been doing it by filling it in with the caps lock on, but, since I think sooner or later someone will decide they don't like that look (I don't like that look, but I'm not the decider), I figured I would take advantage of the All Caps button in the Text Format palette. I opened the project, highlighted the appropriate text in the appropriate group, clicked the button, and set All Caps Size to 100. I previewed and it looked exactly as I intended.

I then Saved as Template and pasted the exact name of the previous version. It did, as promised, replace the previous version, but now the text in the Title line is huge, fully twice the size it was before. The Text Size in the Control panel claims it is the same size it was before (which is 6 points smaller than the Name line).

Here's a clue though: the Name line is in 70 pt and the Title line is in 64 pt. These seem huge to me, as far as point sizes go and, prior to now, they've appeared much smaller. I've started another thread (http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/170/866538) on the font size issue as it seemed off this topic, but now it's all tying in together.

Sorry these postings are so long; not sure how to be clear and any more concise.

Martin

12 GB RAM
OS 10.5.8
ATI Radeon HD 4870
FCP 7.0.2
Quicktime 7.6.6

Return to posts index

Brad Minskoff
on Oct 9, 2010 at 4:50:25 pm

Hello,
I am working on a FCP project which is DV NTSC 720x480. I want to use a lower third template in the SNAP theme which is HD which does not match my settings. If I open the template in Motion and make changes to the font and save it as a template, is there anyway to have it 720x480. As of right now I am opening the Master Template in Motion making my changes to font and then exporting it as 720x480. That would be okay if I only had one lower third in my project but there is about 15 so I wanted to see if it is possible to save the master template as 720x480 so I don't have to do each one individually in motion. I want to have the ability to choose mater templates in FCP. I appreciate your help.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 11, 2010 at 2:37:51 pm

Brad,
Create a project file that is the size you want. Then open up the snap template. Make sure the project pane or timing pane are open. Drag the Group (If there are multiple groups get them into one group) from the snap template over to the other project that is the size you want and then make any additional size adjustments to the group. Then you will have the snap template at the size and frame rate you want. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Brad Minskoff
on Oct 11, 2010 at 4:41:55 pm

Hello,
Thank you for your help. If I used the snap lower third template and export it as a movie with the dimensions 729 x 480? I tried it and I think it looks okay.
Thanks,
Brad

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 11, 2010 at 5:19:05 pm

Brad,
Sounds good. You know what they say, there is more then one way to skin a cat.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Martin Nelson
on Aug 12, 2010 at 6:25:48 pm

[Andy Neil] "Build the L3s as an HD Motion Template that can be accessed in FCP. Add all your CGs and render for screener. Presumably you are working in an anamorphic DV sequence (if you're ending up in 16x9 HD), so the L3s will automatically size down"

Yep, that all makes a huge amount of sense, Andy. And I've now built a happy little L3 template with your advice and the help of Stephen Smith's tutorial. But here's what throws me: as far as I can tell, none of the HD Pixel Aspect Ratios in Motion deliver 16x9 (16/9=1.778, but 960/720=1.333, 1440/1080=1.333 and 1280/1080=1.185). And, in addition to Pixel Aspect Ratio, there's also settings for width and height. Doesn't Pixel Aspect Ratio establish size? When I bring any of these in to my anamorphic DV sequence, they don't fill the screen properly.

My brain hurts,

Martin

12 GB RAM
OS 10.5.8
ATI Radeon HD 4870
FCP 7.0.2
Quicktime 7.6.6

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Aug 13, 2010 at 1:02:56 am

"Doesn't Pixel Aspect Ratio establish size?"

No. Pixel Aspect Ratio determines whether the pixels are meant to be square or rectangle in shape. Standard Def TVs are rectangle pixels, HDTVs and computer screens are square pixels. It's the varying pixel aspect ratios that account for strange resolutions like 960x720.

When you create your Template, you should be working in a full raster HD Preset. 1920x1080, square pixels, at whatever framerate you need (29.97, 23.98, etc.) If you build your Motion project with those settings, you should be fine in FCP.

Andy

Return to posts index

Martin Nelson
on Aug 13, 2010 at 9:01:26 pm

[Andy Neil] "When you create your Template, you should be working in a full raster HD Preset. 1920x1080, square pixels, at whatever framerate you need (29.97, 23.98, etc.) If you build your Motion project with those settings, you should be fine in FCP."

That did it, Andy, thanks so much.

I've got a new question on this issue, but I'll start a new thread. Sure hope you and Stephen haven't called it quits for the weekend.

Martin

12 GB RAM
OS 10.5.8
ATI Radeon HD 4870
FCP 7.0.2
Quicktime 7.6.6

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]