FORUMS: list search recent posts

"file is already open or locked"

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Collin Alexander
"file is already open or locked"
on Jul 29, 2010 at 12:37:36 am

Now when trying to overwrite a file from Motion, I get the error message saying "An error occurred when creating the exported file. The file is already open or locked".

Yes, I can name it something different and export it.

But it always used to be that I could make my changes in Motion, and overwrite the exported video file, and Motion would allow it, and then it would automatically update in Final Cut. Which was cool. Now I have to export under a new name, import the new file into Final Cut, etc. Not fun.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: "file is already open or locked"
on Jul 29, 2010 at 12:45:05 am

Why not just embed the Motion project directly in FCP? That way you don't have to export anything, and any changes you make to the Motion project automatically update in FCP.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Collin Alexander
on Jul 29, 2010 at 2:00:58 am

No thank you. Been there, done that. Problems with placing Motion files on FC timeline:

1. Causes crashing on export (with Pro Res codec)
2. Causes out of memory errors (with big projects)
3. Won't play in real time on FC timeline

I had about 100 different Motion files in 8 FC sequences, and I've now exported them all to video files, and I've decided to work this way for the rest of the project.

Something must have changed, I used to be able to overwrite existing files, now it won't let me. :-(

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Jul 29, 2010 at 2:57:04 am

Ah, makes sense given the size of your project. I've never been able to overwrite files, FWIW.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Jul 29, 2010 at 5:53:24 am

[Mark Spencer] "I've never been able to overwrite files, FWIW."
Most of the time I can, sometimes I can't. I'm not sure what makes the difference.

Return to posts index

Jason Diebler
on Jul 29, 2010 at 12:59:28 pm

It won't work if FCP, QuickTime, Finder, or any other app has the file open when you do this. But if you're strictly in Motion, you can overwrite (replace) the file.

Photoshop lets you update on the fly, you're right, it would be cool if Motion did too... but in a way, it assures you don't accidentally erase over an active file.

Instead of importing double the files and filling up your FCP browser, either 1) close FCP before you make your changes, or 2) make new filenames (ex: filename_b) and reconnect the media (w/out match name). 1st step is the better option, but if you do it the 2nd way, make sure your timing/clip duration is the same so it doesn't get whacky.

"The deepest blues are black" - Foo Fighters
(this doesn't help me when I'm chroma keying!)

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 29, 2010 at 1:16:21 pm

Jason is right, also, I've found that if once the movie clip is placed in FCP and you don't save the project it will update the clips as well. I however don't recommend that unless you are just bringing a complicated file into FCP to see it in real time, then to go back to Motion and make tweaks. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Collin Alexander
on Jul 29, 2010 at 3:01:27 pm

Thanks for the input guys. Appreciate.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved