FORUMS: list search recent posts

basic behaviors question

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sid anand
basic behaviors question
on Jul 27, 2010 at 3:34:54 pm

This might be a really simple fix but I can't figure it out

After I adjust the timing of a behavior so that its shorter than the length of the project the object reverts back to its original state once the behavior ends. So if I add a grow/shrink behavior to a drop zone and its 20frames long, after the 20 frames the frame doesn't "hold" at the new size, it reverts back to the original size. How can I have the drop zone stay at the new size after the grow/shrink behavior ends?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: basic behaviors question
on Jul 27, 2010 at 3:44:53 pm

Keyframes work great for that. If you want to use a behavior to make an object Scale down and then come to a nice gentle halt, the one you are after is the "Move" behavior. Change it's Z position (in 2D) and it will give the appearance of scaling up or down. When you want it to stop end the length of the behavior.

Check out the ring logo animation example in this commercial, this is taught in chapter 3.2 of my Moving with Motion training DVD, everything is being animated by a behavior in the video. Notice how the brown ring comes to a nice gentle stop once it scales down.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

sid anand
on Jul 28, 2010 at 3:16:08 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. the keyframe editor along with the end offset helped solve the problem. Great work around.

Much appreciated :)

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jul 27, 2010 at 4:55:22 pm

To answer your question about why it's doing what it's doing...

The Grow/Shrink behavior is one of a few behaviors where the layer reverts to it's previous settings after the end of the behavior has been reached. Therefore, no matter how short you want the grow/shrink to last, the behavior needs to be applied until the end of the layer (the IN can actually be trimmed though). To adjust the timing of the grow/shrink, you need to adjust the End Offset slider. The way I do it is by opening the keyframe editor (cmd+8) so I can see the animation curve, then adjust the slider until the end of the grow/shrink lines up with where I want the behavior to end.

That said, I agree with Stephen about using the Move behavior. The only reason NOT to use it instead of the Grow/Shrink would be if you need to scale the image from extremely small to normal or large size. The "natural scale" setting on the grow/shrink makes this ideal.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]