FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion 4 Rendery Quality Again

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Drew Muir
Motion 4 Rendery Quality Again
on Jul 23, 2010 at 11:53:12 pm

Hi all

I'm posting again with more detail due to the lack of response to my last post.

Recently we upgraded our 4 FCP suites to Final Cut Studio 3 in order to edit using the ProRes 4444 codec to make the most out of the RED camera.

All but one machine had complete installs (old version removed first with "FCS_Remover")

We also produce many 'Graphics only' TV commercials and have used motion 3(Final Cut Studio 2) to produce the commercials entirely with great success. We were exporting the completed commercials out of Motion 3 in ProRes 422 HQ. We also exported many other graphical inserts for other projects (TVCs and DVD etc.).

But now using Motion 4 all of our exported Movies (Full TVCS and short segments) are blurry and appear to be low res. Importing the Motion project into FCP yields an even worse result.

It seems that when selecting BEST for display and export in Motion 4 everything becomes blurry on-screen and in the exported file.

On comparison to earlier exports from Motion 3 there is a big difference.

We monitor using Kona LHe cards via SDI to Panasonic & Sony Broadcast monitors. The files from Motion 4 look very bad on final output.

I have included two JPEGS. One was exported from Motion 3 and the other from Motion 4 using the same setting. The problem looks slight on computer monitors but once out into the TV monitor world it is very evident.

These files were made using settings in Motion:
720 x 576 PAR 1.42 - PAL - Exported to ProRes 422 HQ (ProRess 444 is no different)

This problem has brought most of our production to a devastating stand still.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Does anyone know of a fix?
I'm sure it's not just our machines... all 4 of them (and l laptop).

Thanks in advance.

Sytem MAC Leopard 10.5 Dual 3Gig 4 Core, 8Gig RAM, Internal Software Raid FX4500 Video
Final Cut studio 3, Shake and Adobe Production Suite CS3

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Motion 4 Rendery Quality Again
on Jul 24, 2010 at 12:11:15 am

Most likely related to the Kona

Return to posts index

Drew Muir
on Jul 24, 2010 at 12:15:59 am

Thanks Mark,

all of the tests were independent of the Kona. We are seeing these results on the computer screens as seen in the JPGs I posted.

Sytem MAC Leopard 10.5 Dual 3Gig 4 Core, 8Gig RAM, Internal Software Raid FX4500 Video

Return to posts index

Drew Muir
on Jul 24, 2010 at 11:36:10 pm

In case anyone is interested,

I spoke to Apple Technical Support and they did some tests while I was on the phone with them and they have identified a problem with the "resampling algorithms" in Motion 4.

If you re-size any imported graphics by making it less than 100% in scale there is a loss in definition (over smooth or blurry) if you select rendering at BEST. Also on export the "resampling algorithms" are applied again (if you select BEST) blurring the frames even more.

This may not be evident on large text elements but bitmaps (such as logos) with detail are effected greatly.

Apple suggested going back to Motion 3 until a fix is found (another update).

We managed to do this without re-installing the entire Studio 2 by just re-naming the Motion 4 application and then installing only Motion 3 application, keeping all of the content from Motion 4. Took about 10 minutes on each of our suites.

We noticed straight away that we were getting quality output from Motion again.

Return to posts index

Jiggy Gaton
on Jul 27, 2010 at 7:11:50 pm

Don't know if this will help, but here is my workflow and I just did a show with literally hundreds of logos downloaded off the web.

What I do is to create a PSD file that looks just like the frame that I am importing into, at least in size and at 72ppi. So I arrange my scene in PSD, or sometimes I just cram everything in that I know is going into a shot.

Then I import the PSD into motion and selectively add the layer that I need. I have never had a problem with a blurry graphic. Well, good luck!
jigs

Phoenix Studios Nepal: A small A/V Production House in Kathmandu.

Return to posts index

Anders Larsen
on Jul 29, 2010 at 1:46:10 pm

Is the project in 3D?
And if so; make sure Depth of Field is not checked under output options, or that your cameras focus is exactly on your graphic.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]