FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion 3.0.2 slowing to crawl then crashing

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Purifoy
Motion 3.0.2 slowing to crawl then crashing
on Jul 22, 2010 at 9:34:56 pm

We completed a 7 minute project using Apple Motion 3.0.2 for animated subtitles over DVCPRO HD 720p timeline with no problems (it's a pretty simple project - maybe 25+ titles). When we started a second project the following week, Motion began to slow to crawl after 10 minutes of working on the timeline, then crash. At the time, we had a ATI 1900XT graphics card. We tried all the Motion "tricks" of turning off render previews, clearing RAM Previews, fixing prefs, etc. We tried a new reinstall on Snow Leopard. We even tried reinstalling on Leopard on a different drive. After reading the forums, we bought a ATI 4870 and installed. It got us to 20 minutes before slowing down.

The problem begins to happen whenever the timeline needs to refresh or we are moving elements inside timeline. One thing we've noted in Activity Monitor is that Windowserver begins to spike upward when we do this, going up to 98% and causing Motion to freeze with beach ball. If we don't do anything, Motion might come back. If we mess around with it, it can crash. The exact specs of our machine/OS are below.

We went back to see if any new programs/plugins were loaded between the 2 projects. Nothing.

Does anyone have ANY idea what could be going on?

Thomas
Nashville, TN

Mac Pro 1,1
Dual-Core 2.66
RAM: 5GB
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4870

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Motion 3.0.2 slowing to crawl then crashing
on Jul 22, 2010 at 9:51:15 pm

I would see if making the projects shorter by breaking them into pieces helps.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Sacha Thomas
on Jul 23, 2010 at 1:12:56 pm

You may want to check your RAM. Here is a link that I found that discusses some options for MACs. Good luck.

Return to posts index

Thomas Purifoy
on Jul 23, 2010 at 2:01:29 pm

Thanks - can you re-post the link? It's not showing up.

Return to posts index

Sacha Thomas
on Jul 29, 2010 at 3:33:11 pm

Thomas,
My apologies for not getting back to you sooner. I started to post the response on Monday and I guess I got interrupted. Here are a couple links I found. I hope it helps.
http://guides.macrumors.com/Testing_RAM
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=900106

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]