FORUMS: list search recent posts

Filter on 3d group causes objects to vanision from 2d, non-perspective, views?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steve mclelland
Filter on 3d group causes objects to vanision from 2d, non-perspective, views?
on Jul 22, 2010 at 12:58:10 pm

I'm used to AE and have to transition to Motion 4.02 for a project here so, maybe this is an easy one and I'm just not seeing the switch.

If you have a 3d group with say 2 items, and then you switch the view to Top or Left say, they show as you would expect, nice lines with 3d handles. For some reason when you apply a filter to the group though, all items within the group disappear from all 2d, non-perspective, views. Is this right?

If the filter is applied directly to each item within the group, they remain visible.

This is really annoying if this is the expected behavior. This means that either I need to never apply filters to groups or never rely on the top/left/right/etc views.

Here is a pic showing illustrating it

Thanks,
Steve

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Filter on 3d group causes objects to vanision from 2d, non-perspective, views?
on Jul 22, 2010 at 4:31:21 pm

Yes I see the same behavior, regardless of whether the filter is forcing the group to become rasterized to layer order or not - seem like a bug to me. Not a deal-killer for me, if you select the group, you still see the controls for moving and rotating it, but it is annoying I agree.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

steve mclelland
Re: Filter on 3d group causes objects to vanision from 2d, non-perspective, views?
on Jul 22, 2010 at 5:10:51 pm

Thanks. Glad it wasn't just me. Yeah, I guess if you know about the behavior and you keep your layers opened and select them first you can deal with it. It is quite a pain when you are trying to set up 10 layers, each at various z positions I've found that the way to go is to disable the filters first, set all of your layer z positions, then turn the filters back on. Of course the other option is to apply the same filter set to each individual layer and never apply it to a group.

Maybe in the next dot release...

Return to posts index

Sacha Thomas
on Jul 23, 2010 at 2:33:42 pm

This appears to be limited to a version 4 issue. It does not happen in Motion 3.0.1.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]