FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transparent Reflective Surface in Motion 4?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian McLaughlin
Transparent Reflective Surface in Motion 4?
on Jul 21, 2010 at 7:58:22 pm

I'm trying to create a motion project with video drop zones that I want to use in some Final Cut projects. I've set up my drop zones, and I have a plane underneath the drop zones to create the reflections for the drop zones, however, I want this plane to be transparent when I bring the project into Final Cut, as if there was a piece of glass under the drop zone. So far, I've been unable to do this. The reflective surface always comes in as black (or whatever color I set the rectangle to), and it doesn't matter what blend mode I have the surface set to either, as that doesn't seem to carry into Final Cut. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Sacha Thomas
Re: Transparent Reflective Surface in Motion 4?
on Jul 21, 2010 at 9:23:02 pm

You might check the background color in the File Properties dialog. Also, check your Alpha settings in FCP. Just some suggestions worth looking into if you haven't already. I haven't worked with version 4 but that is what comes to mind.

Return to posts index

Brian McLaughlin
on Jul 21, 2010 at 9:49:26 pm

The alpha channel seems fine, as everything else that's supposed to be transparent comes in that way, its just the plane I'm using as the reflective surface doesn't. For example, I tried setting the plane to pure black, then set its blend mode to add. In theory, that should make the black effectively transparent against the background. If I put in a background in the motion project, I get the effect I want, but if I take out that background, then import the project as a template into FCP, the black surface just shows up as black, no matter what's is blend mode is set to. It's like FCP just ignores it.

What I really need is a way to effectively set the fill color of the plane to transparent, but if I cut the opacity of the plane to try and achieve that, the reflections just disappear along with the color.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jul 22, 2010 at 1:24:36 am

Don't use a blend mode as that won't translate back to FCP. Instead, there is a checkbox for reflection only in the Reflection parameter. Choose that and see if it works for you.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Brian McLaughlin
on Jul 22, 2010 at 2:38:25 am

The only Reflection only option I can find has to do with whether or not something casts a reflection, so that the original object can be transparent and you only see its reflection. What I'm looking for is a way to make the actual reflective surface transparent, as if it was made of glass, and I can't seem to do that.

Oddly enough, the old cloning the object trick from Motion 3 to get a "reflection" does what I'm looking for, more or less, but it has it's own issues that prevent me from using that. I was really hoping when you set the fill color of the reflective surface that I could just turn down the opacity and still have the reflection, but nope, the reflection disappears at that point as well. Any other ideas?

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jul 22, 2010 at 4:52:58 am

You have two choices. Either import whatever background you're wanting to composite into Motion where the blend modes will work, or use the faked technique involving clones.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Brian McLaughlin
on Jul 22, 2010 at 12:57:44 pm

Unfortunately, I think you're right. I was hoping to find a way to do what I was looking for, but it just doesn't seem possible. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]