FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion and Gfx Cards

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Udell
Motion and Gfx Cards
on Jul 20, 2010 at 4:14:23 pm

HI all...

I see this has been batted around a bit in the past. But I thought a fresh thread might help.

We do 99% of our work in Motion and Photoshop.

As Motion is driven by the GFX adapter, when spec'ing a new box, for our purposes:

1) a quad core is as good as an 8 core?

2) Does Motion benefit from the premium pricing of Nvidia Quadro hardware or will GeForce level give us the same performance. (we don't want ATI)

Our current gotcha is that we will likely downgrade the new box to Leopard, and be running Motion 3 to maintain full compatibility of Motion in our workgroup environment.

So taking all that into consideration, I know that more and bigger is better in general (for rendering in Final Cut, or Cinema 4d, or AE, or all those other applications we don't use) so in the name of spending money efficiently what's the best solution?

I welcome your feedback.

Thanks,

Alex

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Motion and Gfx Cards
on Jul 20, 2010 at 4:24:53 pm

Personally I think 4 core would be okay but the best card is definitely the ATI Radeon 4870, the Quadro is not going to help you at all. Why don't you want ATI? The ATI cards work better for Motion.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
Re: Motion and Gfx Cards
on Jul 20, 2010 at 4:56:10 pm

Hi Mark...

thanks for the feedback. I figured the Quadro would be useless for our tasks. I also figured a 4 core would be more than adequate based on pipeline.

our chief designer had some bad experiences early on with ATI and Motion. Anomalies with renders. Since then he's been an Nvidia guy. Honestly, I've been on PC's the last few years and Nvidia is generally taken more seriously in Pro space than ATI. Also the rest of our boxes are all Nvidia, and as we pass projects back and forth in the group, the results need to be consistent.

Alex

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]