FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion Development / Final Cut Integration for Broadcast News

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kelly Pederson
Motion Development / Final Cut Integration for Broadcast News
on Jul 19, 2010 at 4:14:23 pm

Hello! I am a designer at a news station. Our edit department recently went digital with Final Cut boxes across the board. I am designing Motion Templates for our editors to use. We are new to this workflow but are learning this fast & wanting to push forward with this.

1) Can anyone tell me how many TV stations nationwide are currently using the Final Cut Studio / Motion Template Integration with their workflow?

2) Does Motion get development support from Apple, as in, they will continue to make Motion & expand it's features?

3) Is there development with software such as iNews so producers/reporters can enter the text in their scripts & it will fill in the text fields in the Motion Templates for the editors?

Thanks so much in advance!

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Motion Development / Final Cut Integration for Broadcast News
on Jul 19, 2010 at 4:21:14 pm

1) Many.

2) No one can say for sure but Steve Jobs has said that the next version of Final Cut Studio will be awesome and it has historically included significant upgrades to Motion

3) You need to look at how Motion templates can be used right inside of Final Cut Pro. This video may help:

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mov/pixelcorps.cachefly.net/mbks_078_54...

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Kelly Pederson
on Jul 19, 2010 at 4:51:13 pm

Thank you for responding so quickly, Mark! I appreciate your insight! I have watched your video - we are using that workflow now & really adapting to it quickly. Our issue is that the editor does not write the story - our producers/reporters are the ones actually writing the stories & paying attention to name spellings, quotes issued from companies, politicians, victims, etc. It is often that right brain/left brain scenario with an editor under pressure -- typing accuracy can take a backseat to visual production quality.

We have Chyron products in our workflow right now that work with our script writing software (iNews) -- the producer/reporter has a proxy of the template right there & the ability to type in the text fields from their desktops. For our Motion Template workflow, our producers are sending an email to the editors & the editor will then copy & paste the text in the Motion Template through Final Cut. However, for quality control the producer still needs to stand up & walk down to the editors suite to double check that all the fields are spell-checked, etc. We are trying to save those steps & keep the control at the producer's desktop.

Thank you again in advance for any light you can shed on this! I was actually looking for a way to contact you directly this morning as your name is repeatedly mentioned when searching Apple Motion.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Jul 19, 2010 at 4:56:12 pm

You can do so with my full name -at- mac -dot- com

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jul 19, 2010 at 5:06:33 pm

Perhaps some kind of integration with Final Cut Server might be helpful. There are web clients for the producers. The editor would be able to cut the project, and then the producer could view a proxy from their desk for QC.

Also, one of the biggest drawbacks for iNews is that it's PC only based. However, iNews DOES have a browser-based client that can be set up so editors on Macs could view rundowns and pull CGs directly from the stories versus having an email sent to them.

We experimented with that at my station as well as having a virtual PC installed (ie: Parallels or VMWare Fusion). Both solutions helped the overall workflow, but they both have drawbacks.

Virtual PCs can bog down a computer's performance, and the iNews web-client is a bit clunky. Still, I preferred the web-client.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Kelly Pederson
on Jul 19, 2010 at 5:20:01 pm

Thank you, Andy. This information is invaluable to me. We are in the process of getting Final Cut Server online, for one purpose - to store & access our image assets to work with the Motion Templates we are creating. This is exciting stuff - I am glad I posted these questions to hear from people who have already gone through these processes. We are always looking for better solutions & are not married to iNews, especially since our production workflow is mac based now. I am also glad to hear that Motion is being supported! Thank you for your answers to my questions!

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jul 19, 2010 at 4:45:08 pm

1) Don't know. Not sure anyone knows for sure. We had both Avid and FCP at the news affiliate I worked at in San Diego.

2) The most recent update for Motion (v4) included some very significant improvements. I don't have any reason to believe it won't continue.

3) iNews is owned by Avid so integration is unlikely, at least to the extent that it's integrated with Newscutter. However, I saw 3rd party FCP integration for ENPS several years ago at NAB.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]