FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion3 Chronic Dysfunction

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Taliesn Jones
Motion3 Chronic Dysfunction
on Jul 11, 2010 at 3:24:08 pm

Have encountered this so far unexplainable phenomenon whenever I leave Motion3 alone for a spell ( like a month or so perhaps to work with and further learn & experiment with other apps ). What has happened twice within one year is that when i activate Motion3 , either as an existing project or directly from its icon I the dock , I notice that after everything launches with the imported footage in its view window and functioning just fine the New Camera , Add Behavior , Add Filter , Make Particles ,Replicate icons w*refuse* to respond with their respective drop down menus so that I can access their FX. Sometimes any combination of these icons are simply grayed out fro the start of the launch. The point being that the only remedy is having to delete Motion3 altogether and then reinstall it from the CD provided by my FinalCut Studio 2 licensed package.
This is an obvious process of corruption that appears to occur when I leave Motion at rest fro a while.
Am using it on a 24" iMac Core2 Duo 3.06GHz w/ 8 GB's RAM running MacOSX 10.5.8.
Color me both baffled by this misbehavior and exasperation with the obvious instability of an otherwise wonderful FX tool , in particular its animated brush engine which I'm dying to get back into but for this
really frustrating dysfunction. What's wrong with Motion3 and what can i do to prevent this totally uncalled-for dysfunction.
TIA

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Motion3 Chronic Dysfunction
on Jul 12, 2010 at 3:53:00 pm

keep current with apps and OS would be one thing...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Taliesn Jones
on Jul 12, 2010 at 4:52:36 pm

Appreciate the feedback , but this is kind of a rather over-generalized diagnosis. The version of Motion3 ( from FCStudio 2 ) I have should be consistent with the release version of OSX Leopard I have when *both* OS & app were purchased ( April 2009 ). I purposely did not upgrade to *Snow Leopard* for fear of such unpredicted performance glitches.So i stayed with what I had for stability's sake. Hence my frustration with this anomaly with both OS & app which were made for each other at the time and with all things remaining the same I'd have thought someone may have discovered a similar behavior anomaly and found out why.
That is why i found the relatively simplistic solution to my problem is "just throw more money at it by upgrading and see if problem goes away" less than enlightening. I'm a buyer-beware kind of guy and would still want some feedback with alloyed with similar experiences or reports thereof with perhaps the problem identified. That said if I could readily afford to *just upgrade everything* whenever such misbehavior arises I would've already done so. Thus I wanted some measure of experienced assurances that this particular dysfunction goes away with the upgrade to Snow Leopard & FCStudio 3 before I spend
as I've other pressing purchases sharing the same shopping list.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 12, 2010 at 8:32:35 pm

Sorry for the overgeneralized response or whatever but yes- it just works better now and it's worth the what is it $29 OS Snow Leopard and $299 FCS 3. Surely your times worth more than that isn't it? If not- well search the archives. Hard for anyone to help you with a version that most of us aren't using any more...

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Taliesn Jones
on Jul 12, 2010 at 9:08:37 pm

Point taken concerning the $330 if taken by itself , but then there's the upgrade to CS5 and then the follow-up upgrades to a whole host of plug-ins to support CS5 ( Trapcode comes immediately to mind )
not too mention more for external hard drives. I guess what I'm trying to suggest os that , in this economy , no one upgrade exists in a vacuum and the laundry list grows long.
Next job should pay for it while allowing CS5 upgrade to lie fallow. Heard that there was next to nothing new added to Motion4 except , apparently more predictable stability. Taken in that perspective $300 is quite a premium to pay for just a single app ( not a 1.0 ) to perform with a measure of predicable stability, no?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 12, 2010 at 11:15:33 pm

You honestly use nothing else in FCS than motion? Hmm. I suspect you need to reconsider your workflow. If cash is tight to the point that you're a whole generation behind on your versions perhaps using both FCS and Adobe CS together isn't working with your business plan. Personally I get every job done with FCS + Photoshop. Haven't wanted for a thing. But to each his own. Also credit cards... :)

Noah

Return to posts index

Taliesn Jones
on Jul 12, 2010 at 11:47:56 pm

"You honestly use nothing else in FCS than motion? Hmm. I suspect you need to reconsider your workflow..."

Uhhhm no , but ever since *Motion* , the only app I was interested in because it had enough FX features that AE did *not* , or didn't do well near as well ( Motion's far more advanced animated brush engine comes immediately to mind ) was folded into FCpro Studioi *forcing me to buy the whole damn package just to access Motion3 and the job that I applied Motion3 specialities to paid for the 24" iMac 3.06 GHz w/ 8 GBs RAM and FCPro Studio 2 and CS4 so the payout justified the initial investment pretty damn well.
I'm now getting far more *paying* work executing *animated illustration & calligraphy* than video editing because one can throw a stick in any direction in the Wash.D.C. can hit a editor , but specialized animated free-hand created FX are a way of differentiating oneself to a unique niche that I kind of enjoy working from. I trust that answers your question about buying into FCPro Studio just to get my hands on Motion3. I had *no* other choice in the matter and the job paid for it. Not so unbelievable when you get right down to it.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 13, 2010 at 12:24:31 am

Well I don't know what else to tell ya. :) If you're using Motion more than once a month I personally think it's professionally a bit unwise to be on the fence about an upgrade. However you want to justify $330 as the cost of upgrading Motion on its own with the boat anchor you consider the rest of FCS is your mission I suppose.

But again you can diagnose the problem yourself rather than arguing about the finer business points with me by a simple search of the forum archives as few folks on the board are still using the configuration you have.

Noah

Return to posts index

Taliesn Jones
on Jul 13, 2010 at 4:03:17 am

"Well I don't know what else to tell ya. :)"
Well this is why i was hoping for other voices to chime in , but such is my luck I s'pose.

"If you're using Motion more than once a month I personally think it's professionally a bit unwise to be on the fence about an upgrade."

No, it's simply order of priority in spending at the moment.

"However you want to justify $330 as the cost of upgrading Motion on its own with the boat anchor you consider the rest of FCS is your mission I suppose"

Again your misperception proceeds you. It's not that i consider the rest of FCPro Studio 2 as unnecessary baggage as you appear to assume , it's the fact that I make more money using Motion and I have no choice in the matter anyway since it is bundled no matter what. As I said the digital editing market in Wash.D.C. is so saturated as it is.

"But again you can diagnose the problem yourself rather than arguing about the finer business points with me.."

Well I s'pose you're so used to having your say on the subject and and be done with it instead of having hearing heaven forbid a *working* alternative perspective . Old Asian proverb: "When you operate as a hammer all the world appears as a nail." Was simply looking for a broader base of opinion. Sorry if you're not used to being corrected on misperceived judgement calls , but alternative business models do exist my friend. ;)

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Jul 13, 2010 at 10:21:10 pm

Hi Taliesn,

I'm not sure how helpful this is, but I have upgraded from OSX 10.5/FCS2 to 10.6/FCS3, and I don't find Motion 4 to be dramatically more stable than Motion 3. It's a *bit* more stable, but it's still quite flakey and I can usually rely on it to crash several times a day, especially if I'm adjusting parameters quickly. Not enough to be unusable, but it could be a LOT better.

The apps and the OS are always fully up to date, so the bugs aren't down to using outdated versions. Trashing the prefs has never helped me either. Unfortunately, the main advice you will ever get about problems in Motion is "make sure you're using the latest updates, and trash the prefs"!

Since it seems to work fine for some people and not others, I'm guessing that perhaps the hardware you're running it on makes a difference to stability. Maybe the fact that I'm using a 4-year-old MacBook Pro rather than a more powerful desktop system with more RAM and a beefier graphics card is what's causing the flakiness. Just today I've found it impossible to export a fairly simple 3D project in Best mode with lights, shadows, DOF and motion blur turned on - it hangs on the first frame and then crashes. Only way around it is to either switch off motion blur and shadows, or (if you want motion blur) export in Normal mode with shadows off.

Return to posts index

Taliesn Jones
on Jul 13, 2010 at 11:17:41 pm

Thank you , Gareth , for a straight "from the trenches" answer acknowledging that Motion4 is not that much better than Motion3 ( which I've heard and read elsewhere and was looking for an all clear signal ) which means to me that upgrading is not automatic no-brainer solution.
For now I'm just going to continue to reinstall a fresh version of Motion 3 seeing as how this is only the 2nd time it has misbehaved like this through not being used for over a month , but not when it's in constant use on a project. That time has arrived so it's time for the solution that works so far till I make the upgrade and then bitch about the misbehaviors I encounter then.
Anyway appreciate the *buyer beware* post. More than pone opinion is *always* better. ;-)

Return to posts index

Nigel Beaumont
on Jul 24, 2010 at 9:11:01 am

Sorry to be late to the party....I can't offer a solution, but just wanted to say there's nothing unusual about still working with FCS2.(I managed to edit 25 Broadcast TV programs on it last year) Many people prefer to give any new upgrade a bit of time to settle, to be sure any bugs are sorted before they commit and the jury seemed to be out for a while with Snow Leopard and FCS3. Two colleagues who have upgraded have had no issues at all but that wasn't everyone's experience.
Although I could upgrade, I do a lot of work for my church and they run a G5 Mac that can't use FCS3, so I've stayed with FCS2 for easy project exchange.
I was an infrequent user of Motion last year, but never had it hang like that. Advice on the Cow seems to be make sure any re-install is clean though - get EVERYTHING off before putting anything back on. Not fun(!) but the pain will be worth it if Motion returns properly.

Nigel Beaumont

MBP 2.53 FCS 2 FCP 6.0.6, Aja IO, some black cables, shiny firewire drives

"Ofcourse it'll be finished in time for tx"

Return to posts index

Taliesn Jones
on Jul 24, 2010 at 1:32:19 pm

Thank you , Nigel , for that seasoned advise. Best response yet. Certainly more informative than the * Just upgrade and then ask me again* one size fits all response I initially received from Kadner.
And , yes , doing a clean & full reinstall of the entire FCStudio 2 Suite is a solid recommendation that I will take in good faith. I may yet wait until the next FCStudio incarnation or when the next paying job involving video editing justifies the expense.
Short of that I still make far more money using *Motion* in concert with AE CS4 which is more pressing for next in line for an upgrade to CS5.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]