FORUMS: list search recent posts

PC QT issues

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mick Haensler
PC QT issues
on Jun 22, 2010 at 4:13:26 pm

I just finished a project for a client in Motion. Rendered it out as a NTSC Movie. It looks great when I play it back in QT on my Mac but looks awful in QT on her PC. I confirmed this on my wife's PC. Any suggestions??

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
Re: PC QT issues
on Jun 22, 2010 at 4:26:04 pm

Eliminate all the guesswork: use a broadcast video card and a broadcast monitor to view your work. If you only have your computer monitor to rely on, you'll never really know what you're going to get.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 22, 2010 at 4:28:42 pm

Is this for a presentation on a PC?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mick Haensler
on Jun 22, 2010 at 4:42:19 pm

No, final destination is the web, but the client wants to view it on her PC. I wanted to give her a H264 file but her IT guy wanted .mov, I guess he's going to encode it for the web himself. She just needs to be able to review the clips on her laptop. Any suggestions as to an output codec that would look great on her PC and give the IT guy what he wants?? I've already done my own encoding for the Vimeo and it looks awesome but that's not what she wanted.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Mick Haensler
on Jun 22, 2010 at 4:44:00 pm

[Mark Petereit] "Eliminate all the guesswork: use a broadcast video card and a broadcast monitor to view your work. If you only have your computer monitor to rely on, you'll never really know what you're going to get.
"

Thanks for your response Mark but that's really not the issue. All looks well on my monitor(broadcast), it's when she plays it back on her laptop in QT that's the problem.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 22, 2010 at 4:52:39 pm

What codec is she watching it as? Can you send her an H.264 or .WMV and then send the IT guy a different version?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Mick Haensler
on Jun 22, 2010 at 4:59:23 pm

[Stephen Smith] "What codec is she watching it as? Can you send her an H.264 or .WMV and then send the IT guy a different version?
"

I don't know. She's playing it back in QT on her PC, so whatever QT decides to unwrap it as is what she's seeing. Obviously QT for PC isn't the same program as QT for Mac seeing as the same rendered clips look great on my Mac on a 27" monitor. I'm trying to avoid a lot of back and forth with her. All she wants to do is to be able to see the clips in the same quality as the Vimeo uploads I showed her for approval.

I can send her anything, question is, what looks good on QT for PC?? And can that same codec be used by the IT guy to encode for the web?? I'd rather do it myself but.....he's an IT guy and of course knows much more than I do....no offense to any IT guys in the house.....OK yeah, I meant it, go ahead and take offense....

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Jun 22, 2010 at 6:06:29 pm

You should be rendering out with h.264, not as NTSC - that's for standard definition and is an interlaced format. Use one of the Share presets or Compressor presets for the web to make it easier.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Jun 22, 2010 at 6:24:19 pm

Well, then you have a great "client education" opportunity. You designed/edited on professional video editing workstation using a calibrated NTSC-spec broadcast monitor. She's watching it on a cheap netbook she bought on sale at Best Buy, utilizing a TFT LCD spec'ed to the lowest bidder.

Which one do you think is going to look "right"?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 22, 2010 at 6:26:05 pm

I send clips to clients on PCs all the time. The H.264 codec looks fantastic and has always worked. I like to compress it in compressor. Then send the IT guy a different file, what ever he wants. That is what I would do.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Mick Haensler
on Jun 22, 2010 at 6:55:18 pm

Yep, H264 seems to do the trick. Funny, I always use H264 with special presets when I upload to Vimeo for client approval, but for some stupid reason I never thought to use it in this application. I keep forgetting .mov is a catch all wrap. Once again thanks to all and BTW:

Steven and Mark and everyone who contributes to this forum, THANK YOU!! Through your patient help and expertise I am using Motion more and more which has expanded my skill set which in turn makes me more money. Sometimes when I post a question I'm in a hurry to get a job out the door and don't give you guys props. Well here 'tis! Thanks again.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Jun 23, 2010 at 5:44:23 am

[Mark Petereit] "She's watching it on a cheap netbook she bought on sale at Best Buy, utilizing a TFT LCD spec'ed to the lowest bidder.

Which one do you think is going to look "right"?"

Except, I've seen this problem on high-end Windows systems too.

Specifically, I've captured something as a DV .avi in Premiere Pro in Windows, then exported it as a DV QuickTime. Played back in QT for Windows, the resultant .mov looks soft and fuzzy. Played back in QT for Mac, it looks fine. There's nothing wrong with the file itself, logic suggests it's something to do with the way it's being handled by the QT player software. The video always looks perfect on an interlaced monitor, regardless of whether you're playing it from PC or Mac.

I've also noticed issues with projects captured, edited and exported as DV entirely within OS X. Playing back the final files in the Mac QT player, the video can look slightly soft compared to playing the same file in VLC. Strange.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jun 22, 2010 at 6:48:45 pm

DV is an interlaced codec. It's not going to play well on a computer. You should convert your project to progressive and use a codec like H264. Unless of course, this is going to tape or is being played out to a TV.

Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]