FORUMS: list search recent posts

justify paragraph to a path workaround

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Gifford
justify paragraph to a path workaround
on Jun 18, 2010 at 1:42:29 pm

Using Apple Motion 4

Q. Can I 'justify' a paragraph of text to fit a path, shape or simple curve?
(it could also be called the paragraph alignment?)

Ideally I would then animate the paragraph to slide down the curve of the shape/path.
I can't find a way, or a work-arround for this, but maybe someone with better knowledge of combining behaviours can help me?
I had wondered if creating text on a path, and then rotating the text lines and path so that each line starts on the path and heads outwards rather than each character sitting along the path might work somehow?

Any ideas welcome, or the golden setting I've simply missed!
Thanks.
Dan

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Sacha Thomas
Re: justify paragraph to a path workaround
on Jun 21, 2010 at 4:47:21 pm

Hi Dan,
I am not sure that what you are trying to do is clear to me. It sounds like you want: to align the right or left edge of a text block with a path and then animate the lines of text to move along that path.
Which direction do you want the text to move in relation to the path? for example, if you were to draw a "S" shaped path with text boxes to the right, would the text move vertically along the "S", following the shape as it curves right and left while remaining on the right side of the "S"? This would create a justification along the left side while leaving the right ragged.
Hopefully once we can get a clearer understanding of the intended result, we can get you on your way.
Regards,
Sacha Thomas

Return to posts index

Dan Gifford
on Jun 22, 2010 at 11:21:02 am

Thanks for the reply Sacha. (It's my first post)

[Sacha Thomas] "It sounds like you want: to align the right or left edge of a text block with a path and then animate the lines of text to move along that path. "

That is 100% correct.

[Sacha Thomas] "if you were to draw a "S" shaped path with text boxes to the right, would the text move vertically along the "S", following the shape as it curves right and left while remaining on the right side of the "S"? This would create a justification along the left side while leaving the right ragged. "

Yes, that is exactly it.

It's for a DVD menu, and I want a body of text to fit a curve (as you describe). I can do it in a still graphics program, but I would also like the option, of animating it to slide down onto screen hugging the curve.

Any thoughts?
Thanks again.
Dan

Return to posts index

Sacha Thomas
on Jun 22, 2010 at 3:33:30 pm

I was able to achieve this in Motion 3 by:
Creating an "S" shape with the Bezier tools.
Create a text box for each line of text.
Assign the motion path to each text object. Under the Motion Path inspector set the Path Shape to Geometry and drag the shape from the group area (not the timeline) into the Shape Source box. Check "Attach to Shape." Play with the offset until the results are acceptable.
That's the basic idea. Good luck. Hope that helps.
A note:
Hide the S shape if you don't want to see it. I suggest creating a copy, which is your visible graphic element and tweaking its alignment by nudging it. If it is imperative that the path and the graphic element be one and the same, you will have to tweak the position of each text box separately to avoid overlap. Position the anchor point FIRST in a way that doesn't cause any visible flaws-for example offsetting it to create a margin between the edge of the text box and the path.

Return to posts index

Dan Gifford
on Jun 23, 2010 at 10:57:27 am

Thanks for the reply Sacha, splitting the lines of text up was a good workaround, however I may be missing a setting to help me achieve what you describe:

[Sacha Thomas] "I was able to achieve this in Motion 3 by:
Creating an "S" shape with the Bezier tools.
Create a text box for each line of text.
Assign the motion path to each text object. Under the Motion Path inspector set the Path Shape to Geometry and drag the shape from the group area (not the timeline) into the Shape Source box. Check "Attach to Shape." "

At this point the characters of the words and and the words themselves all hug the path. Did you manage to get the starting point of the line of text to extend outward from the path? And the text to remain horizontal? (in your 'S' example extending outward to the right?)

I attach an image made in adobe Illustrator that shows a sketch of the layout I am trying to achieve:

I have now actually found a solution: I can separate each line of text (as you suggested), and then add a 'motion path' behaviour to each one, with an offset, and move all of them at once. I just hoped there would be a "justify to path" option for paragraphs. :o)

Thanks for the help and time though.
Dan

Return to posts index

Sacha Thomas
on Jun 23, 2010 at 2:18:39 pm

Glad I could help. Good luck with the project.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]