FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any cure for projects getting corrupted?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gareth Randall
Any cure for projects getting corrupted?
on Jun 4, 2010 at 2:19:09 pm

I've had a few instances of projects become corrupted when I've almost finished them. When I say corrupted, I mean that behaviours or filters just stop working properly.

For example, on one project all the shapes with write-on behaviours just disappeared from the canvas. They existed and had their visibility switched on in the layers stack, they just suddenly didn't appear as part of the composite. It took ages before I realised that I had to re-select the appropriate Shape Style for each of them.

And I've just finished a project where the Custom Speed option for the motion path behaviour just stopped working properly. I could set and adjust the keyframes normally, but when I tried playing back, the object didn't obey the keyframes, it would just jump immediately to the position of the final keyframe. Deleting the path and setting up a new one made no difference.

These really weird thing is that these bugs are always project-specific. When I got the motion path custom speed problem I created a new project, drew a simple square and added a custom-speed path to it, and it worked perfectly - I could make the square speed up, slow down, stop, reverse and everything I wanted. When I went back to the proper project, the custom speed still wasn't working, even after a reboot. In the end I just had to use the Natural speed option, even though it wasn't 100% what I wanted (all of the motion path presets worked without problems).

Anyone have any ideas for fixing this issue? Please don't say "trash the prefs", I've already done that and it made no difference :( It always happens when you think you've nearly finished...

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Any cure for projects getting corrupted?
on Jun 4, 2010 at 2:23:58 pm

Sorry, I've never seen this problem. Maybe this article will help.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1885

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

zak peric
on Jun 4, 2010 at 2:29:16 pm

What you can do to help yourself is to create a file with a different name every day when you work on it. Say it is called particle, I would call it particle_001 then start saving the same file every day you work on it with a different number at the end say particle_002.

This is a common procedure when working on projects in any software.

Also have a look in your:
../HOME DIRECTORY/DOCUMENTS/Motion Documents/Autosave Vault
Inside you will see that motion behind your back always saves the projects in a similar manner I explained above.

See if you can find one that has all of your behaviors in place.

Return to posts index

zak peric
on Jun 4, 2010 at 2:31:55 pm

One more thing:

Motion files are often very small, so you can save as many as you want without using a lot of your hard disk space.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Jun 4, 2010 at 3:08:19 pm

Trashing preferences may help, or copying everything to a new project.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Jason Diebler
on Jun 4, 2010 at 5:55:06 pm

I'll add:

• Check for most current updates
  • Lock groups that you're no longer affecting or don't need to reference as often (or bake and export finalized elements that are not likely to change)
  • Don't run too many other open apps while in Motion

"The deepest blues are black" - Foo Fighters
    (this doesn't help me when I'm chroma keying!)

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
    on Jun 6, 2010 at 6:11:52 am

All my software is up-to-date and I don't run other apps when I'm running Motion.

I just had another "interesting" bug in the same project; a motion path suddenly decided to change scale from 100% to 21%. I didn't accidentally change the scale myself, it did it by itself. And even weirder, when I set it back to 100% it didn't come back to its original size; I actually had to make it 250% to get it back to the same size it was before.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
    on Jun 7, 2010 at 5:12:27 pm

That I don't understand. Motion paths don't have a scale value. They are just that, paths. What exactly changed scale? A layer? Was it video, or image, or generator? Was it created inside Motion, or in another application?

Andy

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
    on Jun 8, 2010 at 7:14:52 am

I drew an open-ended shape using the Bezier tool and used that as a path (it was a complicated shape that would have been a pain to create by modifying the default motion path). The fact it was a shape meant that it had a scale value, and changing that obviously affected the animation.

Return to posts index

Gareth Morgan
    on Sep 6, 2010 at 2:13:32 pm

Hi Gareth

I have the same problems, sometimes it seems something completely random will stop behaving properly, but it will appear that everything is ok with the project????

I'm really interested in how you resolved the below issue:

'For example, on one project all the shapes with write-on behaviours just disappeared from the canvas. They existed and had their visibility switched on in the layers stack, they just suddenly didn't appear as part of the composite. It took ages before I realised that I had to re-select the appropriate Shape Style for each of them.'

I'm trying to create a flourish with a main 'vine' with other vines/flowers etc growing off it. When i get about half way through, the vines that i have already animated with 'write-on' will disappear for no reason. Can you explain what you do to 're-select the appropriate shape style'?

I'm hoping this will sort out my problems.

Many Thanks

GM

Return to posts index

zak peric
    on Sep 6, 2010 at 3:40:53 pm

Hi guys,

Motion have a backup save folder in which it saves all documents at different intervals. Being that the motion projects are very small it is always good starting point to look for file before all went wrong. look in your user folder/documents/motion documents/autosave vault. Also it is always good practice to render parts of the projects if you are finished with it and then bringing them back as movies. Make sure you also lock groups is a must as strange things can happen to you projects. In addition to this always save your ptoject with say test_001, test_002 and so on every time you work on a project. This will allow you to have many projects so that if anything goes wrong you have to go one before and continue to work without trying to fix unfixable. I wish we have the stability of the program as after effects users have.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]