FORUMS: list search recent posts

image size changes on different machines

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve A
image size changes on different machines
on Jun 2, 2010 at 3:48:07 pm

We are doing a doc for HBO with some artwork that is large (3K-4K pixels across). When we create moves on the art using Motion on our MBP they work fine, when we move that sequence to our Mac Pro system we get the error message that the file exceeds maximum size and will be rendered at lower quality.

I've assumed this is due to different graphics cards (NVIDIA 8600 in MBP and ATI Radeon HD 2600 in Mac Book). Is that true or is there a setting I'm missing? Is there a way to override this and still render at best quality/full resolution on the Mac Pro?

We will be finishing at a post house with yet a different Mac (not sure what they have). We want maximum quality and to not have the moves change geometry when we re-render on their system. Would it be better to export QTs of each art clip on the MBP and reimport them as separate QT files, outside of Motion?

Thanks for your help!

Steve

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: image size changes on different machines
on Jun 2, 2010 at 4:27:20 pm

You are correct in your assumption, the card in your Mac Pro is limited to 2K textures. Anything over 2048x2048 will be down-rez'd. If your final output is under 2K this shouldn't be an issue unless you are scaling up large images over 100%. In that case, I would do as you suggest and export QT's from your laptop.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Steve A
on Jun 2, 2010 at 4:49:46 pm

Thanks Mark.

We are indeed going in tight on these big images (many of which are paintings so quality matters). The motion files are 1080i and post house is finishing at 1080i, using color. Assume we should set render to "best" in Motion, and export to ProRes 422, are there other settings to know about that impact quality of QT?

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Jun 2, 2010 at 5:40:54 pm

You probably don't even need "Best" quality in Motion unless you have text or other vector objects in your scene - I would do a test between Best and Normal because the render times are so much longer with Best. ProRes 422 is a good choice, you could do HQ to be on the safe side but I would bet you couldn't tell the difference...

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Steve A
on Jun 2, 2010 at 6:01:19 pm

Two last questions:

if the files on the Mac Pro have already been downresed, what's the best way to restore them to previous full res state?

if we buy the MP a Radeon 4870 which new MPs have as an option, can it handle the same large files that the MBP with the NVIDIA 8600 can do?

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Jun 2, 2010 at 6:03:02 pm

You can change how Motion handles images in Preferences, in the Project pane. The 4870 will handles up to 4K no problem. IIRC that is the limit although it could be 8K. Anyone else?

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]