FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why do objects sometimes change position when you group groups?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gareth Randall
Why do objects sometimes change position when you group groups?
on Jun 1, 2010 at 12:17:19 pm

I've just been in a situation where I wanted to apply the Earthquake filter to a composite image made up of multiple different groups. I figured the quickest way would be to put all the groups into one uber-group and then apply the filter to that, but when I tried it, the composite fell apart, with almost every object radically shifting position.

Is this a bug, or an expected consequence for reasons that I need to understand? I've worked round it by simply copying the filter to each individual group.

Return to posts index

zak peric
Re: Why do objects sometimes change position when you group groups?
on Jun 1, 2010 at 12:49:02 pm

try to clone that uber group first than apply the filter to the clone. all the best

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Jun 1, 2010 at 1:19:08 pm

I'm afraid that doesn't help, since all the objects in the composition change position as soon as you create the uber-group.

What's the actual reason for the mass position shift? A bug?

EDIT - aha, I made it work! If you create a new group and then drag all the other groups into it, everything's fine. The position shift occurs if you highlight all the groups and then choose "Group" from the Object menu.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 1, 2010 at 2:58:11 pm

Do you have 3D layers in your group? Do they have different Z positions?

600 ? 600: true);" src="http://www.lonepeakproductions.com/img/cow/Steve_COW.jpg" align="right">

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

zak peric
on Jun 1, 2010 at 6:22:49 pm

it is difficult to say what is the problem with your project. when you clone layers they always offset so that you know that is clone. just move it back. if the problem is that some of the layers are moving than it is a different problem.

try moving all of the layers in new groups, 2d, also check all of your assets Z position make sure they are the same.

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Jun 1, 2010 at 10:50:18 pm

It's a 2D project and everything has the same Z position. As I say, grouping all the groups into a single uber-group works perfectly if you create the new group and then drag all the other groups into it; it *doesn't* work if you highlight all the groups and then choose "Group" from the menu.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]