FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to make Motion Path & Snap Alignment to Motion behaviours play nice?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gareth Randall
How to make Motion Path & Snap Alignment to Motion behaviours play nice?
on May 30, 2010 at 9:26:59 pm

I'm making an object move using Motion Path and Snap Alignment to Motion behaviours. When the object reaches the end of the path I want it to remain on screen holding the alignment applied by the Snap behaviour, but it jumps back to its default rotation (zero degrees) where the Motion Path behaviour ends.

Is there a behaviour-based way to make it hold onto its alignment, or do I just have to set a rotation keyframe at the end of the motion path?

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: How to make Motion Path & Snap Alignment to Motion behaviours play nice?
on May 30, 2010 at 10:37:49 pm

What I'd do is keep make the Motion path behavior last the length of the layer. Then, using the custom speed setting, stop the move where you want. As long as the motion path behavior is on the layer, the snap function will work.

Andy

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on May 30, 2010 at 11:05:19 pm

Andy, that was exactly what I was going to suggest but I tried it first and it doesn't work. I even tried setting a couple of keyframes at 90% but the layer reverts to its original rotation between the the two same keyframe values - very frustrating.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on May 30, 2010 at 11:57:57 pm

Wow, you're right, Mark. I guess it reverts because even though the motion path is applied, the object is not in motion. Luckily I found a work around for the OP.

Gareth,

Go to the end of the motion behavior (SHIFT+O) and note the rotation of the object at that point. Then advance one frame (where the snap to motion stops working) and type in that number into the rotation field.

The snap/motion behavior overrides the rotation to a layer while it's in motion, so all you need to do is make sure that the rotation that the object reverts to once it stops moving is the same as it is at the end of the motion.

Sounds confusing, but it's really simple to do.

Andy

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on May 31, 2010 at 2:26:52 am

Brilliant, Andy - as usual.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on May 31, 2010 at 8:48:38 am

Thanks guys. I figured that's what I'd have to do, but I wanted to see if there was a behaviour-based way of achieving it, something I'd missed somewhere.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]