FORUMS: list search recent posts

X-files Black Oil effect

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Bluffield
X-files Black Oil effect
on May 19, 2010 at 4:41:28 pm

Hi guys,

I need to create some effects that simulate oil.

I need to create the effect of black oil oozing out of things - similar to the black oil special effect they used in the X-files. Also need to dissolve some objects into oil.

The other oil effect I need to create is an oil spill look - pools/ripples of oil on water and also cascading oil. I've played with tweaking the Water Stream/Water Fall particle emitters so far to create these looks.

I'm used to working and most comfortable in Motion4, so if there's a way to achieve these effects please let me know. I don't mind trying in After Effects either, but it will be a steep learning curve for me.

Thanks, Alex.

Alex Bluffield
Final Cut Pro Editor (Apple Certified)
W: http://www.a2bpostproduction.co.uk

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: X-files Black Oil effect
on May 19, 2010 at 5:27:28 pm

While there are particle systems that specialize in liquids, your best option is to start with a practical effect that you adjust and composite in Motion. It will ultimately be the most realistic.

I would get a liquid that is similar to oil in viscosity (maybe agave syrup) and color it how you want. Then pour it over a sheet made from a solid color (I'd choose white) so that you can key out the result. Remember, if you are planning on having this oil come out of someone's eyes, then you have to take into consideration the topography of a human head.

Then key out your footage in Motion and composite it to your bkg plate.

Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]