FORUMS: list search recent posts

How can you make a camera sweep around a fixed point?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gareth Randall
How can you make a camera sweep around a fixed point?
on May 18, 2010 at 8:55:27 pm

I'm trying to make the camera sweep in a circle while remaining fixed on a specific point. I've pretty much got it working, but I have a couple of questions.

This is the image I want to sweep around:

Specifically, I want to sweep in a circle while keeping the centre of the red circle (which is the anchor point of the group) in the middle of the frame. This shows how the camera is positioned:

From here, I just dragged the anchor point parameter of the group onto the camera. By animating the Y rotation parameter of the camera, I can then track 360 degrees round the map keeping the red circle in the middle of the frame.

This seems like a pretty straightforward issue, but I was wondering if there are any better/smarter ways of achieving it that don't depend on matching the anchor points of the camera and the object you want to keep in frame?

I ask this because matching the anchor points forces the camera to maintain a set distance from the image. Unless I'm missing something, once the points are matched you can't move the camera in Z-space because then you will no longer be sweeping around a fixed point, so you can't zoom in or pull out during the sweep. You can scale the image up or down to give the impression of the camera moving in Z-space, but that's obviously not an ideal solution.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: How can you make a camera sweep around a fixed point?
on May 18, 2010 at 9:00:04 pm

Very good approach. And while true that you can't move the camera along its z-axis, you can achieve what you want by changing either the Scale or the Angle of View of the camera.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
Re: How can you make a camera sweep around a fixed point?
on May 18, 2010 at 9:08:56 pm

D'oh, of course, you can change the scale of the *camera*...

*slaps forehead*

Thanks again, Mark :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]