FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I achieve this effect with a replicator?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gareth Randall
Can I achieve this effect with a replicator?
on May 18, 2010 at 11:21:50 am

I've drawn a square, replicated it and applied a Sequence Replicator so that I have a line of 10 squares that mix up from 0% to 100% opacity one at a time.

Is it possible to use Sequence Replicator to make each of the 10 squares have a different final opacity? I'd like the first one to mix up to 100%, the second one to 90%, the third to 80% and so on, with the tenth square being only just visible. Or would I have to manually duplicate the square 9 times and apply a different opacity animation to each?

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Can I achieve this effect with a replicator?
on May 18, 2010 at 1:12:39 pm

You could use a second sequence replicator behavior to set varying opacity levels - just change the animation type (can't remember the parameter name) to Constant, set the value and don't add any keyframes so the animation stays still. By adding opacity, setting it to 0% and adjusting the Spread you should get the result you want.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on May 18, 2010 at 3:31:45 pm

Sorry Mark, I'm probably being dumb but I'm not really sure what you're suggesting there. I've tried adding a second sequence behaviour and all I've got is the squares mixing up to 100% (with the first behaviour) and then back down to 0% (with the second one). I still can't find a way of specifying different final opacities to each replicated square.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on May 18, 2010 at 4:05:48 pm

Turn off your first sequence replicator behavior and use the second to set up the staged opacities. Think of it as a "frozen" sequence replicator that sequences the opacity of the cells but doesn't animate the opacity.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Andy Neil
on May 18, 2010 at 4:11:44 pm

Mark is suggesting that you do not animate the second sequence text behavior.

If you set the Traversal to Custom, then a location slider appears below the Traversal. It should be set to 0. Just leave it there.

Then add the Opacity parameter to the behavior and set it to 0 or close to 0. Adjust the spread so that each square has a varying opacity set to it. Because you're not animating the Location parameter, the squares will just have that as a set opacity level.

Andy

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Mark Spencer
on May 18, 2010 at 4:39:58 pm

Here I made quick video showing how to do it, let me know if it answers your question.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

steve goldberg
on May 18, 2010 at 5:53:42 pm

Thanks for the tutorial, Mark. This is great. I am wondering, though, if the original question wasn't that he wanted each square to have the same opacity from beginning to end. I was thinking that he wanted square one to go (for example) from 0-10, square 2 to go from 0-20, square 3 to go from 0-30 and so on. So the opacity is animating, but each square has a different final opacity level. Perhaps your tutorial addresses that concept as well.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on May 18, 2010 at 6:21:38 pm

It doesn't, but that's very easy. Now that you have the final opacities set with the "frozen" sequence replicator, you can just add another one to animate opacity from 0 to the final values.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on May 18, 2010 at 6:32:47 pm

Wow, a custom video tutorial - now that's what I call service :)

Thanks very much Mark, that's exactly what I wanted!

Return to posts index

Andree Franks
on Dec 14, 2010 at 12:59:10 pm

Could you not also use the Color Mode Over Pattern?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]