FORUMS: list search recent posts

adding texture to shapes and objects

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Bierman
adding texture to shapes and objects
on May 15, 2010 at 5:06:43 am

This should be the easiest thing to do but I've been tearing my hair out for hours trying to figure this out, searched the manual, all over the internet.... I just cannot figure out how to apply a texture to the surface of a shape... as in, apply some sort of jpg image as a texture on to an object instead of a solid colour or a gradient.

I'm using Motion 3 btw. I'm sure I'm being totally stupid so someone please put me out of my misery!

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: adding texture to shapes and objects
on May 15, 2010 at 5:20:59 am

You don't. You apply a mask in the shape you want to your texture image.

Actually, you can, but it's more work - draw a shape, add an Image Mask to your texture layer, and drag the shape to the well in the HUD - thereby masking the texture with the shape. But simpler to draw a mask directly on your texture in many cases...

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Jonathan Bierman
on May 15, 2010 at 6:26:11 am

Thanks Mark... what if I want to apply this to texture a floor surface... ie the texture would need to spread out along the z plane and I want the look of the texture (our perspective it really) to be modified accordingly?

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on May 15, 2010 at 6:45:54 am

You could always start with the masked texture, and then replicate it and arrange the replicator so that the textures are essentially tiling into your "floor".

Andy

Return to posts index

Jonathan Bierman
on May 15, 2010 at 7:09:57 am

I had thought of that... but couldn't figure out how to do it.

I don't really understand masks all that well which I think could be a big source of the problem... I could do with finding a useful beginners tutorial on masking, if you know of one?

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on May 17, 2010 at 5:50:09 pm

Masks are pretty simple. You select either the shape mask or bezier mask tool (located in the toolbar). Then you draw on the layer you are masking. When you complete the mask, whatever is inside the bounds of your drawn mask will be visible, all else will be transparent.

In the mask tab of the inspector, you can invert the mask so that the inside elements are transparent and the outside is opaque.

Those are the basics. Probably enough to get you started. You could probably google an After Effects tutorial on creating masks and apply it to Motion since they both have similar workflows.

Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]