FORUMS: list search recent posts

Make camera dolly speed constant in post - need advice.

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tangier Clarke
Make camera dolly speed constant in post - need advice.
on May 14, 2010 at 4:06:10 pm

Hi all out there. I need a little advice on strategies to make the speed of a camera dolly constant in post. The dolly shot travels left to right and there are obvious speed changes as the camera traverses a mural on a wall.

I have a few ideas, but would love to hear from any of you who may have done something like this in hopes that I am not doing this "the hard way".

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Make camera dolly speed constant in post - need advice.
on May 14, 2010 at 4:28:36 pm

This is an actual shot or are you talking about the 3D camera within Motion?

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on May 14, 2010 at 5:02:59 pm

This is an actual shot.

Tangier

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 14, 2010 at 6:44:50 pm

So you're trying to modify the recorded footage of a camera move. Did you already try motion tracking in final cut first?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 14, 2010 at 7:42:04 pm

Yeah or just manually adjust the speed with the speed tool in FCP. Not easy but you'll get there.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

matthew bradshaw
on May 14, 2010 at 9:24:50 pm

Hi Tangier. I just had a play at this in after effects because I am infront of my pc. I made a box which moves across the screen at an uneven rate (going backwards at some points). I then output this, re-imported it and stabilised it so that it doesn't move at all in frame and I then applied a smooth move to it and that seemed to work well. The problem I can see is if this is only part of a longer move. Anyway I would be interested to know how you get on.
Matt.

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on May 14, 2010 at 10:36:12 pm

That's an interesting idea. Yes, it's part of a very long take; think wall mural - several walls. I think what I may do is find my constant - the speed that I like most in a particular section of the raw footage. Then place a tracking point on the footage (with a dot or something to see it) and see how long it takes for that tracking point to reach one edge of my frame to the other edge. Based on that time, I'll place tracking points at the first frame I think the speed of the raw footage changes and then adjust the speed of the clip within the size of moving in image off the frame and another on (as in above using the edge-to-edge tactic).

This is not ideal and it confines me to working at the size of the frame for the duration I can do this each time. Though Apple Motion makes these operations pretty easy for me. I know my explanation may seem convoluted, but it makes sense in my head.

T

Tangier

Return to posts index

matthew bradshaw
on May 20, 2010 at 6:02:52 pm

Just wondering if you had any success with this?
Matt.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]