FORUMS: list search recent posts

Render- Working with HDV

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Glidewell
Render- Working with HDV
on May 14, 2010 at 5:31:18 am

I've just switched from SD to HDV workflow. I'm capturing right from my Canon XH-A1, using HDV 108060i preset to capture. Everything works great in FC. Then I sent a slug from my timeline in FC to Motion and exported some clips from my timeline in FC to my hard drive and then imported them into my motion project, and man motion just dose not like the HDV footage. I cant get it to playback in motion more then 6-10 FPS and I can't get a ram preview more then 400 Frames long. So i went back to FC and selected my clips again but this time I sent them to compressor and converted them to Apple ProRes and then to my hard drive and then imported them into my motion project, and wallah same thing it still wont play back more then 6fps. What is the right way to work with HD footage in motion. Thanks in advance.

I'm using a 24" Imac Mac OS X Version 10.5.8 Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. My media is on external 1 TB LaCie hard drive connected via firewire 800. There's 145 GB left on my internal drive and about 250 left on the external drive. I have 4 GB ram on 24" imac.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Render- Working with HDV
on May 14, 2010 at 5:38:32 am

Motion loads all video into RAM for playback. 1920x1080 ProRes is going to eat up your ram very, very quickly - you'll likely not get realtime playback unless your clip is very short. Clear your ram cache (under the Mark menu) and set a short play range. The math is something like 8 bits/pixel x 1920 x 1080 x 30 for total bits needed for one second - which I think comes out to around 2MB per frame, or 60MB per second of video. 10 second of video would be over half a gig of memory - you get the picture.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Tim Glidewell
on May 14, 2010 at 5:52:50 am

Thanks Mark
So how is one to work with HDV if sending a clip from FC to motion if I working in HDV in FC? I tryed sending my HDV clip from FC to compressor and converted it to Apple ProRes 422 and then imported the ProRes clip into Motion and I still have the same issue with rendering even a 14 second clip. it won't render. I have cleared the cache as you suggested quit a few times. When I go back to working with SD footage Motion has no trouble at all.

Return to posts index

Tim Glidewell
on May 14, 2010 at 6:01:32 am

Oops sorry Mark I see you have answered part of my question already about the ProRes. So can I work in a smaller resolution and when I'm done export back to FC in a higher res I know and have tried to work in Draft and the Res set to Quarter but that didn't help.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on May 14, 2010 at 12:51:27 pm

Work in short play ranges and render if you need to play back in real time - lower resolution and quality levels should help. More RAM would help.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

John Doggett-Williams
on May 20, 2010 at 11:39:17 pm

I've got a similiar issue with my HDV Motion 4 project. I've got a mac pro quad core 2.26ghz with 6 gig. The sequence I exported from FCP to motion has about 9 tracks of overlay and is about 1 min15 seconds long (sequence settings was same as the video format 1080/50i). I just wanted to use the optical flow to smooth FCP clunky slomo's. So if I've got your advice right Mark I should export it to Motion at a low res?

Also Mark, I'm working my work through your Motion 4 book - it's great.

Ta,

John

John doggett-williams

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on May 20, 2010 at 11:44:02 pm

No, then you'll just end up with a low rez clip optical flow. You want to work with your final resolution for that. Thanks for the compliment on the book!

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]