FORUMS: list search recent posts

MacBook Pro versus Mac Pro decision

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wayne Williams
MacBook Pro versus Mac Pro decision
on May 9, 2010 at 10:33:23 pm

Hello,

I did post this on the Color and FCP forum but also seems highly relevant for this forum as well...

I am i homing in on a final MacBook Pro versus Mac Pro decision to enable both real-time capture (argues for portable) and final cut - color - motion work flow.

i have a new sony HXR 5NU that provides me with 25 Mbps 1080p AVCHD 8 bit 4:2:0 from the camera or 10 bit uncompressed 1080i 4:2:2 via SDI or HDMI. The latter would involve a MacBook (not lugging a 45 pound Mac Pro around on the set) and an external MOTU HD Express HDMI or or a Matrox O2 LE.

The key question is if the extra information is significant in terms of final look, constructing quality masks, etc. I believe the answer is yes as it relates to simply comparing 8 bit 4:2:0 versus 10 bit uncompressed 4:2:2. Seems the answer is murkier with the trade-off of 1080i (the uncompressed signal) versus 1080p from AVCHD.

I do not know the internal workings of the camera, it is possible that it is 1080i off of the sensor electronics and a pull down is happening with the avchd encoder which means that it is not really a trade-off.

Any opinions?

Otherwise I just focus on getting the best out of my camcorder's avchd output using a waveform monitor and go for a Mac Pro in Post.

Any thoughts on this?

Wayne
Portland

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: MacBook Pro versus Mac Pro decision
on May 10, 2010 at 1:58:33 am

Mac Pro and AJA Ki Pro for the win- i.e. you'd not need to carry any computer to get the highest quality capture. And for serious Color work a laptop is not suitable...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Wayne Williams
on May 10, 2010 at 3:55:34 am

Thanks Noah,

Aja Ki Pro seems to be the consensus answer...

Wayne

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on May 10, 2010 at 3:35:31 pm

Yep, you might be able to get away with a MacBook if you're just editing, but as soon as you step into Color, the MacBook goes out the window.

Return to posts index

Wayne Williams
on May 11, 2010 at 8:37:55 am

Returned my "demo" macbook pro today and ordered a Mac Pro.

Now I just need to figure out screens! Pulling my hair out on that one as I want to do Color seriously as well.

w.

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on May 11, 2010 at 11:28:51 am

The overwhelming consensus on The Cow is Flanders Scientific monitors. I'm getting ready to drop the dime on a LM2470W.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]