FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting to Photoshop, where's the Alpha?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Hess
Exporting to Photoshop, where's the Alpha?
on May 4, 2010 at 2:21:58 pm

Hi Guys

I'm trying to export one frame of a LiveType graphic out of Motion to Photoshop. The text was used in a video for the client, and now they'd like that text on their website, so I'm trying to get it to them as a PSD and a TIFF.

The problem is that even though I'm telling Motion to export a Still Image-->PSD and tell it to export with Alpha, the Alpha doesn't show up in Photoshop. The background is all black.

I'm running a PPC G5 Quad Core 2.5 GHz with 4.5 GB Ram, Motion 3, FCP6, FCS 2.
When I'm in the Motion export settings, I tell it to export "Current Frame" and then hit the Options button to the right. Then another menu pops up with Video/Audio and Output tabs. In BOTH of these tabs I'm selecting everything that says anything about exporting with Alpha. I'm even changing selections away from the Alpha Channel setting and then putting it back, since I've found in the past that that actually works for QTs.

There's something screwy going on in the translation to Photoshop. I've re-imported the file into Motion, put an image behind the text, and it looks great like the Alpha is there. I've even taken the image into FCP and done the same. It's just when it gets to Photoshop, there's no Alpha.

I'm doing something stupid and there's an easy fix for this, right? Right?

Jason Hess

PowerPC G5
4x2.5GHz
4.5GB RAM
FCP 6.0.6
Motion 3.0.2

Return to posts index

Terry Mikkelsen
Re: Exporting to Photoshop, where's the Alpha?
on May 4, 2010 at 2:28:50 pm

Did you check your "channels palette" in Photoshop? That's where my alpha channels are located.

Tech-T Productions
http://www.technical-t.com

Return to posts index

zak peric
Re: Exporting to Photoshop, where's the Alpha?
on May 4, 2010 at 4:13:35 pm

When in Photoshop go to channels where you will see that you have additional channel called Alpha 1. Hold the Command key and click on the thumbnail of that channel, that will load this channel as a selection. Then go back to your layers pallet and invert the selection (Shift + command + Letter I) and delete black. I Hope this helps....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]