FORUMS: list search recent posts

Not getting What I want (Masks/Blend Modes)

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Gallagher
Not getting What I want (Masks/Blend Modes)
on Apr 30, 2010 at 1:44:01 pm

Hello,

Been trying to get to grips with motion recently, I've had a bit of a problem something I am trying to create and hope someone can help.

Here's a bit of background, feel free to skip to the next paragraph...I've doing some reversion and some of the textless elements are a bit rubbish. There's text is acting a mask, looking through a layer (L1) so the colour/texture of the text is layer below (L2). The textless version just shows L1 so I have to recreate the colour and texture of L2. There's also text interacting with 3D elements, which we've had supplied as a video file so are having to have layers above and below the 3D elements and alternate between the two to recreate the final graphics. Not ideal.

First question, when I use stencil alpha blend mode is there a way of making the 'outside' of the mask show a lower layer rather than the background? Or defining the background as a video or image?

The other main problem is where I have two identical layers one on top of the other, with a layer inbetween the two. It seems that the two identical layers are creating a strong out line on the image where the layers line up. It's almost as if motion is highlighting the fact that there is something identical 'behind' the layer. This outline is clearly visible through another layer even when I export. all layers have 100 opacity, and when there's nothing passing over the identical layers it is indistinguishable from the solid lettering.

I hope that makes sense, I'm a bit new to motion so don't know all the terminology (or simple fixes if that's whats required.)

Thanks

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Not getting What I want (Masks/Blend Modes)
on Apr 30, 2010 at 2:23:01 pm

Try using an Image Mask instead of the Stencil Alpha blend mode, it's much more flexible.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Terry Gallagher
Re: Not getting What I want (Masks/Blend Modes)
on Apr 30, 2010 at 3:41:25 pm

Thanks,

Image masks seem to be working a lot better.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]